2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'01 Dakota Low Oil Pressure at idle - New engine needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
bbarney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Dakota Low Oil Pressure at idle - New engine needed?

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 V6, and 58,000 miles.

Recently, when stopped at a stop light, the oil pressure needle drops
to the bottom. It happens consistently. In fact anytime the engine is
at full operating temperature, and the engine is idling, the oil
pressure drops to 0.

I took it to my mechanic last week. He took the sending unit off, and
installed a manual oil pressure gauge. The pressure at idle was indeed
0 PSI. At higher RPM's, he said the pressure would rise to around 40-50
PSI. His diagnosis: The engine needs to be rebuild.

Has anyone else had any experience with this situation? I would like to
at least get some more opinions before I fork out the cash for a new engine,
as it seems premature to have to rebuild an engine at 58,000 miles. Are
there any alternatives to rebuilding the engine?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Brant

Old 12-27-2005, 01:24 AM
johnpittbull
Default RE: '01 Dakota Low Oil Pressure at idle - New engine needed?

Hey, I would at least try to do the oil pump and pick up tube beofre going the 3G's route. Sounds like a symptom of a oil pump going bad. Is a cheaper alternative first, at least. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:48 PM
brian2171
Rookie

Did your mechanic do a compression test before suggesting a rebuild? Did he even mention a new oil pump? If no to either question then do not trust him. The compression test is THE most important indicator of engine health when you know what to look for. If your motor doesn't burn oil or make any knocking sounds I agree with the oil pump suggestion.

that's my 2 cents

Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM
bbarney

Thanks for the replies. There was no compression test performed.

He did mention the problem could be the oil pump, but he also said it was a shot in the dark. There was no way to determine if the pump was bad other than replacing it, and seeing if that would fix the poblem. Since it isn't trivial to replace the oil pump (7-8 hours of labor + part), and if that didn't fix the problem, I'd be out the money for the oil pump plus a new engine. But it might be worth the gamble if that turns out to be the problem.

I believe I can here the engine making some knocking sounds. In fact, if I don't put at least 91 octane gasoline in it, the engine make serious knocking sounds when pressing on the gas. This has also been a concern to me, because I don't believe this engine should required high levels of octane.

With the low oil pressure, the knocking, and when I here stories like the ones found on this page: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...e_dur_oil.html (granted this is for the Durango's, but same engines, and very similar vehicles), I might have to cut my losses, and get the engine rebuilt.

I must say though, this experience has really soured me. I will definetely think twice before buying another Dodge. It is frustrating because I feel I've taken good care of the engine (religious oil changes every 3,000-4,000 miles).

Thanks for the info brian2171 and johnpittbull.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

Well, I'd look at it this way... If you replace the oil pump and pick-up and it IS the problem, then you just saved yourself some serious cash.... if you replace the oil pump and pick-up and it's NOT the problem, then your new engine will have a new oil pump to help keep it company!

Good luck
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-27-2005, 10:28 PM
titan2087
Veteran

hmmm quick qeustion on your gas choices are you useing good grade gas like say chevron or are you buying cheap grade wawa gas or its equvialnts>?? because i do no the cheaper gases with out all the good y good stuff in it can cause problems like possibly slight pinging in the more aggresive engines.. Alltohught in your case im feeling its not the gas quailty giving you the pinging. godd luck man.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
brian2171
Rookie

I still say do the compression test before you spend a dime, the numbers will tell the tale. Hey if the truck is going to cost you thousands to repair maybe get a 5.2 and do the swap, although I'm sure that will involve more $$ than the rebuild.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

****, i thought that was normal. [:-]

Mine does the same thing. It always has done it. I just thought it was normal. Just called the dealership and they said it is not normal. Maybe the gauge is just hard to read, but they say I should have at least 7-8 psi at idle. Well...time to go get an oil pressure gauge. damn i've already sunk 3K into this thing since I paid 6K to buy it. This really sucks.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory guage in my Ram dropped to 0 a couple of times while cruising down the freeway, freaked me right out. I put an aftermarket guage in and came to the conclusion that it's not the oil pressure that's a problem with it. I'll probably pick up mechanical guages for the Dakota too. Ugh.

With the low oil pressure, the knocking, and when I here stories like the ones found on this page: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...e_dur_oil.html (granted this is for the Durango's, but same engines, and very similar vehicles), I might have to cut my losses, and get the engine rebuilt.
I'm wondering what kind of oil these folks are using. Most sound like they did their own oil changes, wonder if they're using cheap oil too. I get Costco/Fred Meyer gas usually, every third or fourth tank it seems I get Chevron though, and usually I run 89 octane.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had to have my oil pump and screen replaced too. I had my oil pressure drop to 0 and the check gauges light came on once this summer. I replaced the oil pressure switch and it was fine until November when it happened again. What really threw me was that both times it happened I smacked the dashboard and the pressure came back immediately and the check gauges light went off. That was why I replaced the oil pressure switch, I was thinking it was electrical. Both times though I lost pressure while driving. Anyway I recently replaced the plenum gasket with a kit through Hughes engines, the intake manifold gaskets, the valve cover gaskets, timing chain and tensioner and all the related gaskets for that. When I was done I started having oil pressure issues again, but this time it was if I stepped on the gas the pressure would drop to 0, but if I let off the gas the pressure came back. Finally had to give in and take it to a shop since a lifter started rattling. Didn't want to blow my engine or anything. Another $580 later my pressure is fine now. The mechanic showed me the old oil pump pick up when I went down there and it was clogged up pretty good. If you are hearing any kind of rattling now from the valve covers that wasn't there before you have oil flow problems. I agree with the above though, get or do a compression test first. If you have good compression, then start with the oil pump job.

Quick Reply: '01 Dakota Low Oil Pressure at idle - New engine needed?