2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Resealing rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Resealing rear glass

So I have a leak in the upper driver's side corner of my rear window. Eight years ago, I replaced the plain back glass with a slider unit from the junkyard and back then I used the 3M butyl rubber ribbon seal (listening to my cousin). Now I'm gonna have to do it again due to the leak, but I want to use urethane this time (the 3M stuff in the white tube). Anyone know if the urethane will stick to the butyl rubber or do I have to clean off every speck? It's still tacky when I touched it. The window separated from the seal for about a foot on the corner. I'm almost tempted to silicone the area and call it a day. Much less work.

PS: Bought one of those windshield removal tools (knife with pull handle) from harbor freight and now realize I should have gotten the wire type instead.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 07-25-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:53 PM
wheily
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it will stick to the butel rubber (along with every thing it gets on) but will eventually leak there use to have to reseal windsheilds all the time that another shop installed with butel.a hair dryer and good putty nive will usaully take the butel rubber off

Old 07-26-2021, 11:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I've sealed several windows over the years with "flowable" silicone that wicks. It's real thin and will suck right in on some gaps. I've done about 5 and 4 worked really good. The 5th one got a rock and had to be replaced before I had a heavy rain to test it in.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks, fellas. I removed the window this evening using this tool. Tomorrow I will clean up everything and hopefully get it all done.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Got it done. Not a fun job at all. Worth paying for, if anyone is wondering. Got things all ready to go and found the $30 tube of 3M urethane that I got from Advance, was f*king dried up. Couldn't squeeze out a drop. Checked mfg date and it was 2018, and that was their last tube lol. Got another tube hours later elsewhere and it was 2021.

Was able to do this by myself, no helper. The slider assembly is heavy but I dry fitted it using the dirt outline as a guide. LOL.... I then applied tape to top of cab and glass while in place. Flipped it over on cab, applied urethane to channel of cab (vs glass assembly), flipped it back down, minor adjustments, then locked the clips inside. The painters tape held the weight of the assembly in place. This was a lot harder and messier than I described, but the tape was a very good helper. Learnt it at youtube university. Now waiting on rain.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-01-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Resealing rear glass