2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Imbalance while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 03:28 AM
Stephan02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imbalance while driving

Hello I’mStephan, I‘m realtivly new to the forum!
I drive a 2000 2wd Dakota and today while driving the car i felt an imbalance in the steering wheel and on the floor near the brake pedals an you can also hear it, when braking or turning it seems to stop but not shure at all! This Problem just came up never had that before, have a whole new front en with new balanced tires! What i have is a squeaking in the left brake (where the imbalance seems to come from)since i made the front end i thought the brake pad got a bit stuck but i didn‘t have time to grease it up yet, could that be the cause, could my rotors be warped?
Thank you for all of your answers!

Old 12-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Warped rotors are felt WHILE braking, especially at speed. When you're not braking, the pads should be held away from the rotor by the spring clips. If the slide pins were not lubed (don't use grease), they could be sticking. Jack up the front end and spin the tires...see if there is any drag. Might as well go over the brakes and lube while there. You also might want to have the wheel checked again for being out of balance. Maybe a weight fell off, etc. You can rotate the wheels back to front. If the problem stops, then you know it's the wheels.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:16 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephan02
Hello I’mStephan, I‘m realtivly new to the forum!
I drive a 2000 2wd Dakota and today while driving the car i felt an imbalance in the steering wheel and on the floor near the brake pedals an you can also hear it, when braking or turning it seems to stop but not shure at all! This Problem just came up never had that before, have a whole new front en with new balanced tires! What i have is a squeaking in the left brake (where the imbalance seems to come from)since i made the front end i thought the brake pad got a bit stuck but i didn‘t have time to grease it up yet, could that be the cause, could my rotors be warped?
Thank you for all of your answers!

Let me double check here, you have a vibration at speed that goes away when you apply the brakes, right? If you did any work to the wheel bearings, I'd recheck them. The first thing to do is jack the front end up and place the truck on jack stands. Rotate and wiggle (<-------fancy technical term) the wheel assembly. If it moves a little side to side, you have some slop in there. If there isn't any slop, watch the tread and see if it rotates straight or there's some warp to it. If you can't find anything, park the truck on flat pavement with the wheels straight. Use a straight edge to measure how far in the top of the tire is. If one side is tilted in 3 inches and the other 5 inches, that will lead you to the problem.

I think you have a loose wheel bearing but you could also have a broken belt in the tire, pad idle arm or some other loose component.

Quick Reply: Imbalance while driving