2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rigid Ignite Flush Mount LED Lights in Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 10:43 PM
savethemanuals
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rigid Ignite Flush Mount LED Lights in Rear Bumper

I am posting this to help anyone who would like to install accessory backup lights on their truck. I have not found much relevant to this for our trucks anywhere on the internet, so I will post what I have installed.

I used the Rigid Industries 20641 with the flood beam pattern

https://www.rigidindustries.com/igni...unt-20641.html

It has been awhile since I installed it so I don't remember everything, but will post what I do. I'm not sure where I bought these, but I would definitely recommend shopping around for the best price. The switch I used was a Dorman 84843 that I bought from O'reilly. It is a 30 amp switch which is way overkill, but it was my favorite design. I also purchased new bolts for the lights because the ones that came with them were too short. I did not wire in a relay because the lights are such low amp draw and are run on their own circuit. I wired directly from the battery into the cab with an inline fuse and went through the hood latch cable grommet. This went to the switch, and I found a ground from the switch to a piece of metal under the dash. The third wire from the switch went back out of the cab through the same grommet and to the lights in the rear bumper. Feel free to ask me questions bout this install. I ended up getting these particular lights because I wanted flush mount LED lights and many of the other ones I found seemed very large for the bumper. These provide great light! In fact, you cannot see the reverse lights when these are on. They have the added bonus of providing light when backing downhill in neutral (So I do not need to have the tranny in reverse and foot on the clutch just to see when trying to slowly back). I will post pics later.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:28 PM
savethemanuals
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a good spot to mount my switch. It made wiring easy putting it here. I removed the lower panel below the steering column to do this but did not take pictures while I did the project.

Here is where the wires enter the cab.

And here is the other side.

Here is the driver side light. I used black oxide bolts which was obviously a mistake. I will get around to replacing them one of these days. The red plastic is not very tight against the gray metal, so I used some washers in between the plastic and the metal to keep the bolts from sucking the plastic in in one spot.

Once my truck is off of jack stands, I will take some picture of the lights on at night.

Quick Reply: Rigid Ignite Flush Mount LED Lights in Rear Bumper