2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

NV 3500 Input Shaft Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 11:12 PM
savethemanuals
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NV 3500 Input Shaft Bearing

I am trying to replace my Input shaft bearing and am trying to figure out the proper steps. I have so far removed the smaller snap ring on the input shaft itself. I have attempted to remove the larger snap ring on the input shaft bearing. Do I need to separate the 2 halves of the case to remove the snap ring, or do I need to remove the snap ring before I separate the 2 halves of the case?

Old 12-17-2021, 08:37 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

When in doubt... youtube... Here's a vid of a guy rebuilding one, maybe the answer is in there.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:45 PM
savethemanuals

Thanks for the reply. However the video was not helpful but this one was starting at 2:50.
I got the cases separated and the bearing removed. I needed to remove the shifter detent plug, pin, and spring to finish separating the cases. You are supposed to have a special tool, but I was able to use a pry bar and a hammer. To answer my questions, yes you need to separate the halves. And no, you cannot remove the snap ring until you tap out the bearing. There is no groove in the housing for the external snap ring. It is just in place to sit against a shoulder in the case.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:53 PM
savethemanuals

Shifter Detent Plug

Shifter Detent Pin

Shifter Detent Pin still installed

Input Shaft Bearing

Bellhousing where the Input Shaft Bearing sits

Old 12-20-2021, 12:55 PM
savethemanuals

Does anyone know where to get a new input shaft snap ring? I stretched/bent the old one a little bit getting it reinstalled and now it fits pretty loose. I may just squeeze it in a vice, but I was thinking for piece of mind, getting a new one would be nice. So far Auto Zone was a no go. They had circlip style snap rings and said that maybe I could use a hose clamp (LOL). The dealer part number 4741266 is discontinued. I called Transtar in Sacramento, but they said all they have is a $60 generic kit that might have the correct size. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: NV 3500 Input Shaft Bearing