2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bed cover (Tonneau, Fiberglass cap etc....)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 12:03 PM
cl440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed cover (Tonneau, Fiberglass cap etc....)

Thinking about a tonneau cover or cap or something to cover the 5'3" bed on my 2002 Dakota Quad cab. What are you using and do you recommend it? Pictures would be nice.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit on the Ram and love it. If I could find one used for the Dak, I wouldn't hesitate to snag it.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a vinyl tri-fold, unknown brand, that I removed from mine. It was OK for keeping a load dry, but not secure and not watertight. I wound up removing it because it was usuallyin the way, and since it wasn't secure I didn't feel comfortable leaving anything in it. My dad, on the other hand, had a hard cover on his Chevy, and while he liked being able to lock things in the bed he didn't like how it made the bed useless for anything higher than the bed cover. And, it was too heavy to remove by himself. He had a second truck for carrying loads because of it.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:08 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimes
I have a vinyl tri-fold, unknown brand, that I removed from mine. It was OK for keeping a load dry, but not secure and not watertight. I wound up removing it because it was usuallyin the way, and since it wasn't secure I didn't feel comfortable leaving anything in it. My dad, on the other hand, had a hard cover on his Chevy, and while he liked being able to lock things in the bed he didn't like how it made the bed useless for anything higher than the bed cover. And, it was too heavy to remove by himself. He had a second truck for carrying loads because of it.
That is exactly what i love about the jack rabbit cover... rolls up into the box for full bed use

Old 12-22-2021, 01:44 PM
V8Cowboy
Professional
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't know the make of mine, but it's a vinyl cover with aluminium bars, i can rol it up to the front and secure it there to have full acces to the bed.
I prefer this style of cover for the same reason, i still have full acces if needed.

Mine's probably 20 years old, and the sides are closed with velco from front to back, this isn't sticking anymore, because what seems to me, the vinyl is hardened and crimped a little over the years.
The latch to hook it on when you roll it up to the front is touching the cab while driving and leaves some scratches, so it ain't perfect and because of the crimp and sides don't seal off like supposed to, there's a little water coming in with heavy rain.
I did made a doorlatch actuator in the tailgate so the bed will be locked when i lock my doors.

I had a chevy with a hard cover and had the same feelings like Vimes dad.

I do have a bed slide also, and than there's very little you can carry or you have to open the cover.

So al depends on the use of the bed, foldable is much easier, hard cover is better looking and probably a bit more secure.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:36 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

I see these caps on craigslist every now and then. Personally I like my bed open and ready to have stuff thrown in.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:07 AM
cl440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaning toward a vinyl tonneau (roll up or folding) just because of cost but I do like the cap idea as well (If I can find a reasonably priced used one). I have a 2500 HD company truck that I drive daily and other dump trucks at my disposal so I have that option if I need to haul anything major.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:34 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

I have the Rugged Cover Premium vinyl tri-fold on my dak and love it. However, the front third does not fold up against the cab like the aluminum tri-folds.

Quick Reply: Bed cover (Tonneau, Fiberglass cap etc....)