2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Radio??? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Hauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Radio??? Please help

My Radio/Cd Player doesn't work properly. The deck will turn on and seemly play a disc or tune in to a radio station, but there is no sound, I checked the fuses inside the door and everything seems to be okay...
Anyone have any idea to where to start to solve this problem???

I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 and love it

Thanks for reading

Old 12-30-2005, 07:24 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: No Radio??? Please help

Is this a newly installed cd player? Do you have the Infinity speaker system? We need to know a little bit more, but it could be one of three things.

Bad install, bad deck, or dead pre-amp.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:58 AM
titan2087
Veteran

Like the guy said above me info!! But in the mean time cheack for a lose wire connections easpicaly if you ahve been hitting some rough spots in the road or offraoding. happy new year bye the way

Old 01-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Hauler

Thanks alot for the replies

As for more info:

-It's the OEM deck, it's never been removed or tampered with (I've had the truck since new)
- It's the infinity speaker system 6-way or 8-way (I can think of 6 speaker locations, but I think it said 8 on the list of features)
-The truck is an 2001 Quad Cab 4X4 with the 4.7L V8....

anything else i missed?

Previous to this issue, it's been the best factory stereo I've ever come across, I've had no other problems with it whatsoever.

When the problem first started it was intermintant, It wouldn't work, but then you would change the radio station and it would work again, that lasted a couple days then it didn't work at all.

The deck itself has power and will play cd's, but there is no sound, so I am wondering if it is the connection between the deck and the speakers?
or
Are the speakers powered on the same fuse and or relay as the deck?

I am pretty new at this, so I don't have much background to how it is all wired and how it works exactlly so if anyone has any reference material or sites they could send me that would also help a great deal.

Case and point: What's a pre-amp? how could I check this?

Thanks for reading!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The pre-amp is located in the passenger side kick panel - passenger side, the plastic siding to the right of your feet under the glovebox.

When I installed an aftermarket cd player in my 01 Dakota, I forgot to hook up the pre-amp, as I wasnt aware it had one. It would play the cds, play the radio station, everything worked okay, but no sound.

I would do two things. One, I would double check all your fuses. Make sure none are blown, and that they are all in good working order that relate to your audio. In the fuse box, there is a diagram that explains which are which.

Two, I would consider having this looked at by a dealership. If this is beyond your expertise, they should be able to tell you relatively easily. Also, I'd consider looking at junkyards just in case it IS the pre-amp.....

As for it being a bad deck, its possible, but I'll be honest, I doubt it very much. My factory deck worked like a champ when I did use it, and I still have it despite trading in the truck. I think I am going to toss it though.

Like the previous post said, it wouldnt hurt to check your cables and make sure everything is plugged in and connected properly.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
73roadrunner
Captain

Hello Hauler,

I had the dealer replace the radio/cd player in my Dakota 3 times since I've owned it. The first time the radio went it did what you discribed. The next two radios, when they went, they jumped to the max volume setting and emitted this static sound that I couldn't shut off till I pulled the truck over and yanked the fuse. Good luck with the radio they are out of warrenty after one year and they are 300+ dollars to replace. The dealership didn't see the fact that I bought the truck in 01 and replaced the radio every year for three years as a problem. I tried to tell the guy the radio was only a year old and he went to the records and said it was 13 months ago so it wasn't covered. To top it off I had went three weeks with out a radio before I ordered it and it took a week to come in!!
I had to get an aftermarket Kenwood because I wasn't paying for a radio that broke every year!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
73roadrunner
Captain

Opps double posted!!! Stupid Back browser button..[:@]...

Quick Reply: No Radio??? Please help