2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Junkyard PCMs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 11:30 AM
V8Cowboy
Professional
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This is amazing ...... I was thinking on doing the same.......

Either change the seats/cushion ore go to the junkyard and find some other seats to change over...

For the PCM part, i also think there would be no problems, only the keyless maybe.

Are you afraid the PCM is going to fail at some point ? Because if you've got info on that, it might be something i should look into, because there are non available over here.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
interested to hear how the seat swap goes, considered the same thing in mine. when i i swapped the cushion & cover on the ram i added support to the side bolster to prevent tearing, been 2-3 yrs now and still holding very well. prob 60-70k on it since the install.
I saw a video on a guy doing the swap on a Ram. He actually loosened 4 bolts underneath the seat and was able to remove the lower cushion assembly. Can't recall if he even removed the seat. I don't think it will be that simple on the Dak. Might have to pull the plastic flaps off where they attach to the wires or metal frame on each side. I have the bench seat setup which is no fun pulling those seats out. I've done them before but it's been many years, so I'll catch my practice at the junkyard.

So the seats have a slightly higher bolster on the inner side. Not sure if it's because the outer side is compressed with use, or designed that way from jump. Once the passenger cushion assembly is moved to the driver's... that higher bolster will be on the outside.

I've also got this issue with my driver's seat. There is a large plastic washer at the end of the power assembly worm screws that wears out. Once that happens, there is a slight movement or a click felt within the seat (nothing you can hear) every time I stop or move off from standing. Imagine your seat shifting a quarter inch each time... pretty annoying. I had resolved it many years ago and it's slow creeping back as the washers wear... this time I'll use metal washers even if I have to shave it down with a grinder.

Originally Posted by V8Cowboy
Are you afraid the PCM is going to fail at some point ? Because if you've got info on that, it might be something i should look into, because there are non available over here.
I don't think it will fail, but you've got to be prepared for any eventualities when you're driving till the wheels fall off.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-16-2022 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:04 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

*delete*

Old 02-16-2022, 12:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Here is the thread on mine... (1) Genos Seat Foam and Cover Review | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Maybe there is something of use in there. What we found on the ram was the foam would split in the area where it met the frame on the outer edge. I added a support piece to help shore it up so it held up better with the day to day use. Even with side steps, still slide out of the truck which puts pressure on that area and ultimately tearing it.

The following users liked this post:
Dodgevity (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:37 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

The RKE runs through the CTM, not the PCM. So it will not be affected.

The following 2 users liked this post by magnethead:
Dodgevity (02-17-2022), V8Cowboy (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:50 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
The RKE runs through the CTM, not the PCM. So it will not be affected.
Good point! Did not know this.

Quick Reply: Junkyard PCMs...