2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 DAK Overhead Console Display Does Not Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 11:02 PM
geno11x11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved!!

Background: The power wire to the Digital Display is Blue with a White Stripe (Courtesy Lights are powered with a Pink wire) which is part of the START/RUN circuit. From the Dodge Service Manual, Fuse #11 powers the Digital Display from Cavity 5, and I found two Blue/White Stripe colored wires coming from that Cavity. I spliced into both (one at a time) which caused an instrument panel warning light to activate, so I removed those splices and the warning lights deactivated.

I then bypassed Cavity #5 and used Fuse #11 directly to power the display. That caused the Check 4WD light to activate. This was the connection I used when the Digital Display would not show "real time" MPG values and got stuck with a single value. I also tried Fuse #14 but that caused the instrument cluster to go dark.

Epiphany: I realized that all of the power sources that caused warning light problems were for devices connected to the PCI bus. Looking down the list of fuses I found #17 which is the circuit for the Cigar Lighter Power Outlet. It is free from the PCI Bus interface.

Solution: Using Fuse #17, no warning lights were activated, and MPG reports its values in "real time" as it should. I have concluded that the power sources related to the PCI Bus have limited current capacity resulting in the "stuck" MPG values on the Digital Display. Apparently, the Fuse #17 circuit it has sufficient power to run the digital display. Now all functions related to the Overhead Console work normally. Project completed, owner very happy!

Old 08-17-2022, 12:14 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Very interesting findings!

So per my 01 FSM, blue/white goes to fuse 11 as you found. so thats interesting that it caused power management issues, Glad you got it working!

Quick Reply: 02 DAK Overhead Console Display Does Not Update