2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

what size inner tie rod tool will work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 07:29 PM
soundsailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size inner tie rod tool will work?

Anyone know what size removal tool the inner rod needs on a 02 Dakota 4wd, will a 27mm-42mm removal tool do the job ?

Last edited by soundsailer; 08-13-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:35 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Not sure about that tool. This may work for u.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tie-ro...YaAhTHEALw_wcB

Old 08-15-2022, 10:32 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Did they change the inner tie rods in 02? My 01 just needed a tube with a two prong insert to unscrew it. No pulling involved. You can borrow a tool from a parts house. Orielly's just charges you for the tool then refunds it when you bring it back. I think autozone does the same. Might be better to do that instead of buying one since you really don't need to do the inner tie rods very often.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:51 PM
soundsailer

Originally Posted by supadoom
Did they change the inner tie rods in 02? My 01 just needed a tube with a two prong insert to unscrew it. No pulling involved. You can borrow a tool from a parts house. Orielly's just charges you for the tool then refunds it when you bring it back. I think autozone does the same. Might be better to do that instead of buying one since you really don't need to do the inner tie rods very often.
Good advise. You know I was feeling the rod under the rubber boot and it seems that the inner tie rod attaches closer to the tire then the steering mechanism, all the ones I've seen screwed on the inside of the rod. Is that how yours was?

Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine screwed onto a large bolt on the inside of the rack. If you have the wheel straight it should be about 2 inches from the rack itself. Your probably feeling the joint. It has a large ball joint of sorts. It barely moves though.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:58 PM
soundsailer

Mine screwed onto a large bolt on the inside of the rack. If you have the wheel straight it should be about 2 inches from the rack itself. Your probably feeling the joint. It has a large ball joint of sorts. It barely moves though.
ok got ya, well that ball joint is where the slack in the system is, at least on one side. I'm off grid in Hawaii waiting for parts and tools, can't wait to tear into it. The trucks over here go through Hell, the rust is unreal. I will say though, the heavy steal on this truck has really held up well, some surface rust and light pitting by not structural damage, but the light body and shielding material, you can push your finger though it................. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: what size inner tie rod tool will work?