2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine time...suggestions for supplier?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 10:39 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One would think that after all that, the dealer would have just tossed another engine into it, and called it a day. Would have been cheaper all the way around.

GM offered their "lifetime" warranty back in the late 80's. It wasn't inexpensive, so, not a lot of folks bought it... but, we had one guy that did. Brand new Astro AWD. He was a traveling salesman, and would put a couple hundred thousand miles a YEAR on his van. Over the course of his ownership, he got three engines, four rear differentials, several transfer cases, and even more transmissions. He finally retired the van, with over 1 million miles on it...... because it rusted out so bad, things mounted to the frame, weren't.... any more. So far as I know, GM never offered that caliber of warranty again.

Buddy of mine bought the lifetime warranty on his Jeep Cherokee Overland. He is over 300,000 miles now, (don't recall what year it is....) and the Jeep still rides/drives/looks like it's new. Very little rust, considering he lives here in michigan.... He has no plans to replace it any time soon. (and he drives about 80 miles one way to work every day. Mostly freeway though.)
If one were to do this level of cleaning annually or semi annually it should last a lot longer. Fluidfilm or equivalent on the underside would slow some of the rust down.

(1) Deep Cleaning/Winter Prep of the Ram | Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (cumminsforum.com)

Last edited by steve05ram360; 04-14-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One would think that after all that, the dealer would have just tossed another engine into it, and called it a day. Would have been cheaper all the way around.
The dealer asked to 5.7 swap it. Everything was readily available. crate engine, PCM, engine harness. Warranty/Mopar said no.

As OP here is finding out, 4.7's don't exist from the usual reman houses. The B2B powertrain warranty doesn't allow junkyard parts, they must be new or reman. The 4.7 hasn't existed in production for years, so no new parts exist, and the remanners won't touch them.

https://fraserengineco.com/4-7l-chry...kaAspTEALw_wcB
Breaks out 00-07 and 08-15, but doesn't show the 02/03 tone ring change.

https://accurateengines.com/engines/...-liter-engine/ looks a bit generic

https://www.powertrainproducts.net/d...engine-p/1.htm I'm wary of the "we made a new piston" part...

VEGE might be something to look at...They are the Mexican division of ATK, which is a subsidiary of LKQ.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-generation-v8
I don't see the 4.7 on their website though.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:43 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Mercy
The poor old 4.7 in my '03 Dak decided to eat itself after >180K miles.
I'd sell you mine with 340K mi, but I'm still using it.
When you do find one, run Quaker State full synthetic 5W30 and let the max line on the dipstick be your min. These engines go for a pretty penny so maybe cheaper to sell the truck as is and get something else.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-01-2023 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (05-02-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 11:50 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default not that hard

The 4.7 is not that hard to rebuild its actually just a little harder than older engines.

Quick Reply: Engine time...suggestions for supplier?