2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vexing issue at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 12:02 PM
Dakota2ndGen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vexing issue at idle

I have a 2004 Dakota with a 4.7 engine and 270k on the odometer. My issue... when at a stop in drive the engine RPMs will slowly begin to drop and if left in this state the oil pressure light will come on and it will stall. If I shift the trans into either neutral or park the RPMs will come back to normal and all is good. Now this doesn't happen every time and will usually only happen if stopped at a light for some length of time. I have replaced the MAP sensor, Throttle Position Sensor and Idle Air Control Valve and cleaned the throttle body and so far this has not remedied the problem. Other than this vexing issue the truck runs fine. One other interesting note. If the air conditioning is on the problem does not manifest itself. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what solution solved the problem.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 377 Likes on 338 Posts

Were the TPS and IAC replaced with a Mopar units? When were the spark plugs last replaced? Rent a fuel pressure tester from the auto parts store and test fuel pressure. Rental should be free when you return it.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Dakota2ndGen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spark plugs are recent and may have 30k on them. The TPS and IAC are not MOPAR. As an FYI the ignition coils, fuel injectors and fuel pump are OEM and have never been replaced. I will check the fuel pressure but due to other priorities it will be several days before I will be able to make that happen.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 377 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota2ndGen
The spark plugs are recent and may have 30k on them. The TPS and IAC are not MOPAR. As an FYI the ignition coils, fuel injectors and fuel pump are OEM and have never been replaced. I will check the fuel pressure but due to other priorities it will be several days before I will be able to make that happen.
You do want the Mopar parts if at all possible, especially with the TPS. 30K is the plug interval, so might as well eliminate that possibility too.

Quick Reply: Vexing issue at idle