2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Armyguy RT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems?

I have a 2001 Dakota R/T and I am having a few problems. I got the truck in late July and I still dont know what to do. I do not know alot about them cause I have never owned a Dodge. Although I still love the truck!
1. When I brake I tend to get a heavy pulsing and it is driving me nuts!! Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do??

2. I have the Radio controls on my steering wheel and it only works some times same with the horn, I have checked the fuse and they are fine. Also my right side running light and normal light are dimmer then the left I am starting to think it is electrical but I just dont know.
If anyone knows what to do I would appreciate the advice. Thank you
[X(]

Old 01-25-2006, 04:00 PM
marcus 1619
Rookie
Default RE: Problems?

You might have a defective disc(or drum). Have it resurfaced or replaced with new one

Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) You have a warped rotor, pull the front brake rotors off and take them to a mechanic/machine shop and get them turned if they're within spec, or buy new rotors. This is a common 'feature' on vehicles that are driven by people who tend to brake hard. The rotors heat up and then if you stop while they're hot, the rotor cools off slower where the caliper/pads are than the rest of the surface and it'll warp. It can also be caused by improperly torqued lug nuts I've heard. It's also my understanding that the OEM rotors are a mediocre quality, and by stepping up to a good aftermarket rotor you can cut down on warping. And I'm not talking about getting the $2500 big brake kit either, just a good aftermarket stock sized rotor. Try turning them first though, it could save you a couple hundred.

2) You definately have an electrical problem. Sounds like you have a bad ground for the right side lights. Start chasing that one. The stereo and horn working intermittantly, I dunno, bad electrical connection between the steering column and dashboard? I think I remember hearing that was a somewhat common problem with these things.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Armyguy RT

Thank you for your help I will check it out..

Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Radman
Rookie

I replaced mine with Bendex brand rotors and ceramic pads all from Advance Auto parts. Cost was around 175.00.
They are very easy to replace yourself.

It sounds like you may have a bad ground connection feeding all your right side lighting.. Remove any grounding
straps in the light area and clean and replace.. Worth a try...

Your radio controls and such from your steering wheel depend on a "clock spring".. You may have to have it
replaced...

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Problems?