2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Problems come in three's ...right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:13 PM
JRGUE32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems come in three's ...right?

Hello everyone! Well, I am having some problems with my 98 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6. Problem A. My catalytic converter is making a rattling sound. B. My upper and/or lower joints on my front left wheel is making a bad clunking sound when I turn my wheel and when I stop. I feel the car move on my steering wheel when I turn it. C. My break disc on my front left wheel is worn down. Basically, I am looking for suggestions on repair manuals to see if I can fix these problems my self. I’m not sure how hard it will be to change these parts. So if you think it would be to hard for a beginner just let me know. I appreciate it!
JR

Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problems come in three's ...right?

Brakes - take tire off, remove caliper slide bolts from the back (mine were 7mm allen heads), pull caliper spring off front, slide caliper out, grab disc and throw away. Reverse for install. Pretty simple. I recommend new pads if they're worn since it's apart anyway. Be careful when compressing the pistons because you might eff up the calipers, then you'll have to replace those too.

Cat converter might still be under warranty, I believe they're covered under an 8 year 80k or so warranty. Check your Warranty booklet for sure.

You should be able to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual from a good bookstore or auto parts store. I've got an 02 and I haven't seen ONE SINGLE Chilton's for it, but I've seen a bunch for the older ones. [:@]

Old 03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
JRGUE32

Thanks for the reply. I will get on the repair manuals asap. Breaks sounds like a quick fix thats great! But I have heard the uper and lower joints are a bit hard, needing special tools to repair. I have 165k on my 98 dakota so I am way off my warranty. kinda sucks its the 3rd or 4th time my cat converter has gone out. There is definatly something defective in mine. Anyway thanks big time for your input!
JR

Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you keep going through cats I'd figure out why. Bad O2 sensors can tell the ECU that you're running lean, causing the computer to dump more gas, which gets dumped into the cat and clogs it up. I'd look into why the cats keep going out, it's an expensive habit! You're not going to the dealer for a replacement, are you? Catco and others offer replacements for ~$50.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
JRGUE32

I learn something new everyday! Heck no im not going to the dealer this time. So now i need a new O2 sensor and new catalytic. No prob. Im getting the repair manuals to check and see if I can hadle it myself. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Problems come in three's ...right?