2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Another reason I want a different make of truck...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another reason I want a different make of truck...

Well went to fix teh bolt that holds teh manifold flange and Y pipe together. Like anyother time I ever fixed or changed exhaust in any other vehicle I took teh front wheel off and teh splash shield off by removing teh christmas tree clips, screws or push pin clips. Well not with a dakota. The idiots used PLASTIC RIVETS on it. Ironically no one locally carries replacements to put teh splash shield back up. So I had to have my brother come over since he has smaller hands. Also WHO IS THE IDIOT WHO USED THOSE SCREWY CLIPS ON TEH BOLTS? Thanks for putting a flimsy piece of metal on that rusts through quickly causing the flange to loosen when teh bolt slides through it. Put a freaking regular bolt and washer in its place.

Well also found out that the muffler blew teh seam on teh driveshaft side (couldnt see from looking under the truck withough crawling completely under it). So new muffler needed. So call around looking for a muffler and new tailpipe (didnt expect the tailpipe to come off the old muffler). Go figure no one has either in stock. Advanced Auto in the town south of here could get them in tomorrow. So we head down to order it. Well apparently the tailpipe isnt available anymore. WTF? Its a freaking common replacement part. Every other place has a 10-14 day wait on it if I order one. Luckily I got the original one removed from teh muffler without damage to it.

And to top it off I have to fix my dads caravan which had teh water pump or hose let go monday and now my moms cars drivers door wont stay shut. Hasnt been a good week for vehicles with me. Bike last friday. Truck apparently blew teh muffler friday also, dads van (which I was borrowing to go to work) and no I gotta fix a POS Century.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:40 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another reason I want a different make of truck...

custom exhaust time. Cheaper and better in the long run.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:38 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: horatio102

custom exhaust time. Cheaper and better in the long run.
$56 for a new muffler, 10 for 2 clamps and a hanger vs $225 min here for a "custom" exhaust.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Brett K

I have owned one of most makes of trucks. The brand loyalty ***** will tell you this one is better than that one for this reason or that reason. They all have good qualities and bad qualities. When you get down to it, it's luck of the draw. The only thing that keeps bringing me back to Chrysler is the dealership I have been working with. A good dealership is hard to find these days and they can make or break an ownership experience.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 AM
horatio102
Champion

Amen to that.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Brett K

I have owned one of most makes of trucks. The brand loyalty ***** will tell you this one is better than that one for this reason or that reason. They all have good qualities and bad qualities. When you get down to it, it's luck of the draw. The only thing that keeps bringing me back to Chrysler is the dealership I have been working with. A good dealership is hard to find these days and they can make or break an ownership experience.

DC dealer here is a complete joke. I have no idea how they can be a 5 star dealer when their techs couldnt change a taillight bulb without someone holding their hand.

Guess I just hate it when youy have to jump through hoops to try to fix things. Stupid stuff like putting a heater core in a spot that you need to remove the dash to get to it, using plastic rivets on teh wheel splash shield, hiding a small 5 nch hose behind teh a/c bracket and using a stuoid threaded shaft to hold the fan clutch to the impeller shaft instead of using 4 bolts like most others do. I dont mind working on fuel injection systems nor the computer systems in cars, but damn I cant stand when they put common replacement parts in damn near inaccessable places.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

First question: What's up with "teh" ???

Second - yeah, I hate dealerships - they want to charge me $40 to program an extra key-fab when I'm all ready bringing in several hundred dollars worth of warrenty work for them. They don't call when they say they will and act like they're doing me a favor by working on my truck .... And why the heck dose it take over 2 weeks to get a Transfer Case in?!?! .... morale of the story dealerships are the devil - especially Jim Riehls "Freindly" Dodge Dealership in good ol' Lapeer MI ...

Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

2 WEEKS for a transfer case!!!??? did you get any lube with that f*** job

Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

... I don't know, I'll ask when it finally comes in, cuz I'm still waiting ..... I think I'm just going to go to a different dealership today .... bastards

Quick Reply: Another reason I want a different make of truck...