2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine Noise. what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Dakota99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise. what is it?

99 3.9 liter has top end noise. im not sure exactly what it is, pistons, heads, valves. who knows. anyone have a close answere for me. just wondering if there is any way to get rid of it. just started happening like a few days after i got it. go figure right. anywho i just changed the oil and forgot to add a qt of lucas. duh. any answeres. thanks

Old 04-24-2006, 12:55 AM
marks99dak
Default RE: Engine Noise. what is it?

if it is a ticking noise i have the same problem the dealership said it was my injectors if its a slight knock it could be the bearings in the altenator

Old 04-24-2006, 01:14 AM
titan2087
Veteran

mark99 on the ticking noise you have. Does it happen at certian rpms>? does it affect the engine performance any? and is it more of a clicking noise? also what they do replace the injectors? clean them out ect. thancks for any feedback i have this anoying clicking noise around 2nd and more noticable in 3rd gear and havent been able to pinpoint it doesnt seem to affect anything but still like to no what it is.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:55 PM
marks99dak

they told me cleaning wouldnt help i would have to replace them, but they also told me if i could deal with the noise it wouldnt hurt anything, not sure if its a plot to get me in there later. my ticking noise is constant. but its not real loud

Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Dakota99

It seems to be a slight knock or tick. it comes from both sides of the engine. like the pistons or something. it happens as soon as the truck starts and after driving for a while i continue to hear it, but after sitting at idle when warm it isnt as loud. so im thinking its more top end knocking from the pistons. i wish it was what you guys are saying though. ill have to get it checked out and i will let u guys know. thanks for the responses.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:32 AM
titan2087
Veteran

this is quite intresting indeed i have noticed slight fuel marks around the fuel injectors but thats been since ivc had the truck and iv read more then 1 post where that happens just a triat the dakota has so i really didnt pay much attention to it as its really only a slight seep. it would be intresting to see if the injectors are the cause of my anoying *** clicking noise lol.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise. what is it?