2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A/C Evaporator replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 AM
moose_65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Evaporator replace

Can someone help me replace my A/C evaporator. It does not hold charge for more than 2 days and has been diagnosed as the evaporator by a pro. I do not want to pay to have it replaced and would rathter do it myself. It is starting to get hot down here in North Carolina.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 PM
kcoop99
Rookie
Default RE: A/C Evaporator replace

did you ever replace this?? I think mine is shot also. Let me know!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changing the Evap coil is the same as changing your heater core. you have to pull thw whole damn dash out, and its a PITA to do. good luck

I did my heater core in a weekend taking my time. but the dealer is doing it this time in 2 weeks when I'm on holidays. then atleast I can have a warranty if I get another faulty heater core.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
marksza

Hi all,

this forum is great. Always get my (and the right ) answers here !
Took my 2000 Durango R/T in fro service (lots of stuff Fuel Pump, electronics for the fuel (not certain of the name); in any event I asked for the A/C to be charged as it wasn';t working.
After being fixed , it worked for a (one) night. I noticed the windshield was getting misted, and the smell of Anti-freeze. Several folks told me it's the heater coil (core ?). And as you mention the dash has to come out. Some Questions:

- What is a fair value/amount for doing this work (I am in the New York City area) in terms of the parts and the labor (time) ?
- Does this affect the vehicles heat as well as A/C
- Will this affect the car overheatign (I beleive the Antifreeze is still leakign through it and will continuie)
- Any short write-ups describing how the heater core/coilworks ?

thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
United1
Professional

My evap was leaking (2000 Durango), replaced it myself about 2 weeks ago. While I was in there I also replaced my heater core (foolish not to, even if you have someone else do the work). In the Chicago area, going rate is about $900-$1000. I pais $150 forthe evap, core and blower motor. So, I figure I saved about $850. It took me about 8 hours to remove and replace the components and about 4 hours to put it all back together. The evaps are known to go in these things.

This was my first evap/core replacement. It was not that difficult (although very time consuming), but I grew up working on Moparsand have a good basis for how they work. If you do not have a good understanding, you could get in trouble. Johnny is right, it is a PITA. It comes down to whether or not you are comfortable trying to do it yourself. If you get half way through it and have trouble, it now becomes a tow in to a repair shop with a whole bunch of parts that need to be installed. If you are not comfortable with the risk - have someone do it.

Lastly, if you smell antifreeze, that is your heater core. If you are not holding a charge in the A/C system, that is a separate issue. The core and evap are mounted in the same HVAC box, but are two separate closed loop systems.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Quick Reply: A/C Evaporator replace