2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

home made CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 AM
BlackDak07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home made CAI

has any one out there made a cold air intake...if so what type of tubing did you use and how did you do it....any advise would help thanks

Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: home made CAI

I went to AutoZone and got a cheap universal intake tube, it's extenable so you can position it most anywhere
and i use a cone filter, works a lot better than stock but I'll still get an actual CAI kit when i can
________
Live Sex

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
MikeRT98
Rookie

i dunno if this counts or not, but when i had my Porsche 944, i made a CAI for it out of a cone filter, some universal adaptor place for a Nissan (got lucku and iot was a perfect fit) and and aftermarket alluminum intake tube for a Honda Civic (after a little woprk with a measuring tape, protractor and a hack saw). I got lucky on a lot of the misc. parts actually fitting and it was a real fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants project. to be perfectly honest, for the ammount of money its gonna cost, you are better off buying a cheap ebay intake and put a K&N filter on it and just be done with it.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:45 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: batman13

I went to AutoZone and got a cheap universal intake tube, it's extenable so you can position it most anywhere
and i use a cone filter, works a lot better than stock but I'll still get an actual CAI kit when i can
Most likely that's actually hurting performance. Accordian tubing causes a great deal of turbulance in the airflow, which makes it less efficient, and from the sounds of it you're just sucking in hot underhood air, which also won't make as much power (less oxygen for a given volume, due to the larger molecules).

From what I've read, an oval cross sectional pipe is best, smooth interior walls but not round because round will cause a whirlpool effect that is apparently not the best for transporting air.

If you're going to use plastic pipe, use ABS, not PVC. PVC is polyvinylchloride. Chlorine isn't good to breathe, and when you heat the pipe it'll give off gasses

Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Most likely that's actually hurting performance. Accordian tubing causes a great deal of turbulance in the airflow, which makes it less efficient, and from the sounds of it you're just sucking in hot underhood air, which also won't make as much power (less oxygen for a given volume, due to the larger molecules).
I'll have to check on that, but i guess the stock system sucked because i definatly noticed an increase in perfromance with the new one.
________
KIDS DEPAKOTE

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 AM
kikoy
Rookie

i used athe autozone tubing(one 90* elbow and one 4" long pipe and the filter) although noe i up graded to an AEM dry synthetic filter....

here is a clip
custom intake non CAI

Quick Reply: home made CAI