2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil Change and Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 AM
GoonMX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change and Weird Problem

Alright retarded question but how much oil does my 5.2L need for a oil change? I got Vavloline Max Life 10w30. Is this good for it? It has about 125000 on it(1998).

It has been doin something weird recently. The engine seems to run fine but the oil gauge shoots up and the red "check gauges" light comes on every once in a while. It then gradually goes back to normal after about 2 seconds and is usually fine for while. Is it something wrong with my engine or is it just the gauges messin up?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 AM
JetNoise
Professional
Default RE: Oil Change and Weird Problem

Well, I can answer your easy questions.
The oil capacity for a 5.2L is 5 quarts including filter.
If the temperatures will be above 0 degrees Fahrenheit, 10w-30 weight oil should be good.
I have never used any specific brand of oil, due to the fact that I change my oil at a shop, so I can't attest to Valvoline or any other brand.

When does the problem with the guages happen?
When it is warm or cold?
And just verifying that it is the oil pressure guage you are talking about.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:28 AM
GoonMX

actually just went and checked and its not the oil pressure gauge...its the temperature gauge i think it is? it shoots up to over 200(i think 240 is what it goes to?) and then goes back down. is my thermostat going out?

and im wondering this is the first time i decided to change the oil on my truck, but i usually take it to the shop. for 5qts of oil and the filter it costs about $20 which is the same as gettin it done at the shop?wtf?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 AM
kikoy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: GoonMX

actually just went and checked and its not the oil pressure gauge...its the temperature gauge i think it is? it shoots up to over 200(i think 240 is what it goes to?) and then goes back down. is my thermostat going out?

and im wondering this is the first time i decided to change the oil on my truck, but i usually take it to the shop. for 5qts of oil and the filter it costs about $20 which is the same as gettin it done at the shop?wtf?

you probably had an air pocket in your cooling system....how?....i dunno but it happens......

Old 05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
JetNoise
Professional

this is the first time i decided to change the oil on my truck, but i usually take it to the shop. for 5qts of oil and the filter it costs about $20 which is the same as gettin it done at the shop?wtf?
Shops don't make much money at all on Oil Changes.
Sure they get a slight discount for buying bulk and such, but from being at a shop I can tell you that Oil Changes don't bring in the cash.

Quick Reply: Oil Change and Weird Problem