2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hello Folks

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM
fontenhu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Folks

I'm a new guy on the block. I love to ride my motorcycles, hunt, and fish and have a 1998 Dodge Durango 4X4 with a locked engine. I want to swap the engine out but need to know what's involved before I delve in. Do I need to remove major components such as front differential, or transmission before I can get it out. Looks like a tight fit, so If any of you can give some insight, I would certainly appreciate it.

"Bad Boy" loves all...Cheers

Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Hello Folks

Biggest issue is what motor you want to swap in...and whether or not its bigger/smaller. If its the same motor, there really isnt much in the way of things you need to know beyond unhooking it and re-installing it. If its a different size motor, you'll need computers and possibly some other stuff.....There are some other guys who can explain it better then I could in here, but that's pretty much it.

Welcome to DodgeForum, I think you'll enjoy your stay!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:32 PM
fontenhu

I have an identical 318 ci or 5.2L engine from a 2001 model Dodge Ram 1500 PU. I know that I have to change the exhaust manifolds and oil pan, but what I dont know is if the front diff will allow clearance of if I should remove the trans with bell housing from the engine and torque converter before I get enough clearance? Could be major effort. I'm a 55 year old hobbiest that dont like to work dumb. Thanks

Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

my mechanic takes the engine (with the trans still attached) out the bottom of the car, less fuss. i don't know too much on the subject of engine swaps but I'm tryin to learn before i do my own

________
Web shows

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
fontenhu

WOW. I dont have the equipment to perform this type of engine removal. I have an engine lift, engine leveler, and the hand tools. I guess your mechanic have a full car lift and some type of special jack such as transmission jack to accomplish this. Anyone else out there that has another method that I can perform

Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Same type of motor, remove hood, unhook fuel, a/c, heater lines, remove radiator, air filter assembly, exhaust manifolds, power steering pump lines, disconnect the trans and transfer case and slide it rearward (driveshaft removal is neccessary), Hook lift sling or plate to motor and hock to lift. Undo mounts and lift out. Its really not hard, just time consuming. Front wheel drive cars are a bit more involved.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:26 PM
fontenhu

Thanks for the reply RP,

I guess the tranny and transfer case need to be moved back to allow for the torque converter to clear since my original engine is locked up and I cannot remove the torque converter from the thrust plate, Right? I guess I can borrow a trans jack to accomplish this. I plan to attempt the removal this weekend if the weather is OK since I will be doing this on my driveway outside. I like this truck but it sure seems like everything I do to it is soo challenging. I replaced the front differential, and front end bearings, ball joints, etc. and it was a three day job. I hope I can get the engine swap done in a week working part time. I noticed that the new engine has a different fuel injector plug-in so I just going to use the injectors from the old engine so I wont have to change wiring harness and computer mapping. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Hello Folks