2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Red or Green

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red or Green

Hi, can anybody tell me if or what's the differance between Red and Green anti-freeze? I thought it was just a personal choice of colour but I heard that they were different types of coolant. If so, which one should I use as I want to change the coolant when I fit the 180 stat that I hope will cure or at least reduce the "pinging" I get when using the Superchips programer on its Performance setting. I'm currently having to put two bottles of Octane booster in every tank of Super to stop it and even then it sometimes does it under ceretain conditions! Is this normal? I know our Octane ratings are measured differently over here but our 97 is still at least 92 using your method.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Red or Green

The red is a longer life anti-freeze.

Whatever you do, DO NOT mix the two together.
Even after you think you have everything drained, use the original green type anti-freeze.

Now there are a lot of brands that have a "mix-with-anything" anti-freeze.
We use that a lot around here. Its just easier.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:34 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where exactly are you? personally i use the orange prestone antifreeze because it lasts longer but both are sutable as long as you dont mix them. if your pinging i highly recommend that you get some 76 or cheveron premium gas. even if the octane rating is sufficient crappy gas is no good.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in London, England!
There are a few Chevron stations over here but no 76. I've always thought Shell or BP to be the best quality but I might be wrong. Shell's Optimax is reconed to have the hightest Octane rating in the country and is used by racers needing street legal fuel. BP anounced a fuel with a 100 Octane recently but it was THREE times the price of regular unleaded! That would work out at about $17 per US gallon! Unsurprisingly it was only available at a few seclected garages. I'm guessing its already been withdrawn as I've never seen it!
I don't understand why a 4.7 with aprox 250BHP (53BHP/Ltr) is so fussy, when my bike happily produces 115BHP from 800cc (143BHP/Ltr) whilst runing on Regular unleaded. Even with the Programer, it can't be running as much Advance or Compression as the bike, which I thought were the main factors on Octane requirement. I also thought that modern engine management systems had Ping (or Knock, as we call it) sensors which retarded the ignition if detected.
Does anyone thing the 180 stat will do anything? I've heard different opinions. Some say it will help, others say it will just use more fuel! I've got it now and as I don't know when the coolant was last changed, it seams a good idea to try it. But I'd be interested in hearing other peoples expiriences.

Thanks,

Paul

Quick Reply: Red or Green