2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
kbro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dakota lighting problem

Hello. I am having some problem with the lighting on my 2002 dodge dakota 4x4. The headlights do not work, the park lights do not work, the instrument cluster lights do not work. The dome light works, but pulsates. The high beam lights work, but they pulsate. When everything it off, there is a clicking noise in the headlights and the battery drains. When I insert the key into the ignition with the door open, the normal buzzer makes a chirping type pulsating sound. I unplugged the wires from the module that I think is the central timer module in the wiring diagrams of the haynes repair manual. This module is also where the buzzer is. Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong? Is it this central timer module?

Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Default RE: 2002 Dakota lighting problem

does it pulsate with the motor running or when its off? also i dont think the central timer module has any connections to the headlight but my book only covers up to 2000. also how does the stereo sound? does it pulsate with the high beams? does the battery crank the motor over pretty good?

Old 07-04-2006, 07:11 PM
kbro

Truck starts and runs fine. No interference with the radio. Dome light pulsates with truck off. I did notice that when I just went out, started it and plugged it back in to what I thinkis the control module, my headlights flickered on and off and the dome light was much brighter, although it still pulsated. As the truck warmed up the headlights stopped flickering and the dome light went back to its dimmer pulsating. There was also something that would occasionally click in the engine compartment, but I couldn't find it before it warmed up, at which time it quit. So it is trying to work cold, but changes when its warm. Never had anything like this before after owning many vehicles.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:54 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently, starting in 2001, the Central Timer Module have connections to the headlights.
You can pickup a 2001 service manual by clicking on the link in this post. (Provided courtesy of Daksport1pa) (Headlamp wiring diagram found on page 8W-50-4 BTW)
Troubleshoot from there, and let us know what happens.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 PM
kbro

It WAS the Timer Control Module. Everything is back to normal now. Thanks for the help. Now I can take it back to my inlaws and put it back out for sale. Glad this happened before someone bought it. This was my son's truck. He drove it for six months but the rising price of gas made it too rough on his finances (being a college student and all). Gets 17.5 miles to the gallon ( 6 week average), but just not enough to keep him going. Too bad too, because its a nice truck. He bought a 01 Mercury Cougar thats running at 28 mpg. Just have to sell the truck now to put everything back in balance.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota lighting problem