2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Spark plugs and fuel consumption issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
nomagination
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs and fuel consumption issues

I just installed Bosch Platinum 2 plugs in my 2000 Dakota V-6. I put these plugs in to fix a backfiring issue that I had (the plugs weren't the cause anyway, had a plug wire burning thru.) I have had increased fuel consumption (dropped from 15-17 mpg to 12-13 mpg) over the past few weeks that I'm not sure that was caused by the backfiring damaging something or the new plugs. To fix the backfiring, I changed the distributor cap, the rotor button, plugs, and plug wires. The plugs were the only thing that I changed that weren't OEM type. I was wondering if anyone had come across any issues with plugs that have multiple electrodes or might have any suggestions in regards to the fuel consumption. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Default RE: Spark plugs and fuel consumption issues

multiple electrodes are a total scam. however regular bosch platinums are good plugs and i have gotten 70-80k miles on one set of plugs on numerous occasions. double check your spark plug gaps and make sure that sure that you used a plug of identical tempature to stock. then check your wires connections, you didnt buy the kit you have to assemble yourself did you?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 AM
nomagination

The plugs came pre-gapped and the guy at Autozone said that you couldn't re-gap them. As far as the "assemble them yourself" kit you're referring to, if you mean plug wires, no I didn't have to put them together. My old plugs were still in good shape after I pulled them out. They were plain old Champions. I'm thinking of reinstalling them to see if the problem goes away or at least gets better since the plugs were the only thing that were different from before.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 AM
kurbycar32
Veteran

i would switch back your old plugs, if anything it will eliminate a variable. also i don't know of any plugs that don't come "pre gapped" but i always seem to find one or two that need to be adjusted every time i change them. ALWAYS check the gap before you install them, even if they aren't adjustable so you know that they are in spec

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and fuel consumption issues