2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Factory radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:32 AM
f2corsair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory radio problems

My 2002 Dakota, Factory indash CD AM/FM head unit has issues. When adjusting the volume I get dead spots and the display flickers or changes from FM to AM or completely dead. fuses are all good, good battery, and alternator is charging. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran
Default RE: Factory radio problems

Sounds like an internal problem.

If you lose your pre-sets and clock setting when the radio flashes I would say you need to trace out your wiring.
But if you are keeping the radio memory when it flashes/flickers then you must be keeping power, and thus an internal problem.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for your information. I have the Infinity system fitted and during some work on the car, I had the battery dissconected for at least 5 hours. As expected, the clock needed to be re-set but I was suprised to find that all the radio pre-sets were still there. Don't know if this helps!

Paul

Old 07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

if you have dead spots while adjusting the volume i would suspect that your volume control potentiometer is bad and shorting out. the dead spots are typical of a dying pot. sounds like you need to change out your stereo

Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
erice

It sounds like the same problems my wife’s jeep liberty was doing
When ever you turn the volume up or down the radio starts to flicker on and off
All I did was buy a new stereo for my truck of course and took my stock radio out and put it in her liberty and have not had a problem in 9 mos.
I would say its just the radio

Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
02Quad

Stock systems are never that good. Have you considered changing to aftermarket? Last weekend I threw in a Pioneer head unit and it sounds 100% better over stock. Changing it out was a PITA... then again, I am used to Fords where all you do is pop out the head unit and you're done. With my Dodge I had to take the whole dash apart!!!

Quick Reply: Factory radio problems