2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can't Clear Code.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM
lifesun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Clear Code.

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick background on my issue. A couple of months ago my check engine light came on and I proceeded to research the code. It happened to be "P0442 - A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system", so assuming that it was the fuel cap, I ignored it for a little while. Then last month my wife and I decided to put it up for sale as we don't need two trucks anymore, so I went over the whole truck and tuned it up and fixed all the little issues that it had. After tuning it up I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. My check engine light would stay off for about a day of driving, and then throw the same code. So I picked up a fuel cap at the dealership, swapped it out and reset the computer again. All was fine for about a day again. So then I decided to get underneath and check the evaporator lines running from the tank. I couldn't find any cracks or cuts in any of the hoses, but I did find a couple of the connections that seemed a little loose, so I made sure that they were all pushed on tight everywhere that I could find a connection. I reset the computer again, drove it for three days and thought that it was fixed....................but once again, the same code.

Does anyone have any suggestions or anything else that I could try? Is disconnecting the battery sufficient to clear the codes, or do I need a diagnostics tool? The truck runs great, mileage isn't affected at all, but I hate the fact that its throwing a code especially when I am trying to sell it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: Can't Clear Code.

gas cap to fix your problem and a battery disconnect to clear the code. it will take a couple of hundred miles before the code comes back if it's not fixed. had the 442 code on my wifes truck, swapped out the gas cap and fixed it right up.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
lifesun

Thanks for the response,

However, I have replaced the cap and disconnected the battery. The code comes back now after about 80 miles. Before the cap replacement it was about 40 miles. Is there anything else that I can check myself? I hate the idea of taking it to the dealer, every time that I take a vehicle to a dealership, something totally unrelated seems to fail after I get it back! Not sure if its bad luck or what! Not to mention, it seems so simple, I would think that I could fix this!

Thanks again,

Old 08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

go to the dodge faq at the top of the forum, there are some other suggestions up there for fixes. Also, there is a link to download the service manual... i'd get that while your at it.

sorry, I missed that you already swapped the cap. I would also check the vent line going to the filler tube. make sure the clamps are tight and there are no cracks in the hoses.

edit: the faq is in the 2nd gen ram forum... same problems apply to your truck (sorry, forgot I was in the dak forum).

that's funny too... your selling your 2nd truck, we just sold our 2 daks yesterday... leaves us with just the big ram.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional

I don't like the idea of disconnecting the battery to clear codes cause it clears everything and the computer has to learn all over again. Kinda like using a 44 magnum when a BB gun will do. That why I use a OBD reader that clears codes. However, having said that, here's a link from another Dodge board.

http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Electronics/pcmreset.html

Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 PM
lifesun

Thanks for the help guys. I plan to get underneath it again tomorrow and see if I can find any other loose fittings or cracked hoses. It also looks like I may have been clearing the codes incorrectly! I have been disconnecting the pos. terminal and that is first that I read about turning the key to the start position for 15 seconds while disconnected......................I plan to try that first tonight!

Thanks again for all the help,

Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea behind turning the key is to drain residual voltage stored in the system - stepping on the brakes will work too. I've had the 442 error a couple of times on my Dak, cleared it with an OBD2 reader and it doesn't come back for thousands of miles, until the seal doesn't seat properly and it comes back.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thought for you maybe you got a crappy gas cap. Try putting an oem gas cap on if you bought a cheaper one from like AZ, just a thought... I have had crappy radiator caps that have failed after like a week from Auto Zone.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 PM
lifesun

Well I tried clearing the computer again with the key method and the code came back after about 25 miles this time, so there must be a fault somewhere. I will get underneath it again and really look for cracks or cuts. I know that I need to look at the hose running from the fuel fill tube, and the lines around the tank and charcoal box, but is there any other areas that are prone to failure, or is it just random?

Also, I replaced the cap with an OEM one from Dodge, although the parts counter stated that the system said it was an updated version????? It looks a little different than the original.

Thanks again,

Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if you havent already done so go to the top of the forum and download the service manual. there is a password needed from what others have mentioned (also listed in the thread)... then go to the emmissions section and look at all of the emmissions components involved and see if there are any switches or one way valves that could be bad.

once you have an idea of where all of the parts are, you may be able to use a hand held vacuum pump to help narrow it down. I did this on some other cars to test vacuum switches for leaks, worked a few of the times. If you suspect a vacuum line, you could remove both ends, plug one and draw a vacuum on it to see if it holds or not.

Quick Reply: Can't Clear Code.