2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

When is the air to cold??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006 | 06:03 AM
User
|
Champion
Default When is the air to cold??

What do you guys think would be the coolest air for your engine. It was about 60 today and it was damn nice, i know if its TO cold its not that good, i just want to know what that temp is like there is the line from good to bad cold air. Im going to coloardo soon (not a good idea in a 2wd dakota r/t) but im going to do it anyways, and the air up there is like 20-40f.. so thats pretty damn cold.

The only thing that would suck is if it snowed and i had snow covering up my hoods ram air intake.... so i dont know, but i can always disconect the ram air tube from the hood.

Old 08-29-2006 | 06:16 AM
lil
Captain
Default RE: When is the air to cold??

What do you mean to cold?........I think at the point you might pick up water or ice crystals then it might be an issue but for the most part the colder the air the denser the air fuel mix will be making for more power, drag cars even install ice canisters to cool the fuel and make it denser for the same reason.

Old 08-29-2006 | 10:25 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

20-40F too damn cold? Thats waverunner playtime temps.

Come up here when it hits -10F with -30 - -40 wind chills. I started my sonoma in -25F temps before and never had issues other than the cold induced ruuugh ruuuugh before it fired. Just cant use 20w-50 oil. Below 60 its 10-30 and below 30 its 5-30. 0-30 if it really gets below zero for any long period.

If it gets so cold that it damages the motor, then you have other things to worry about. They run engines in the artic circle in -100 temps, although they kept them running at all times.

Old 08-29-2006 | 07:39 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i lived in detroit for a while (actually where i picked my dakota up) and let me tell you, it gets cold! i never had an issue beside have my t-stat freeze shut. the colder air provides a denser air which provides better combustion.

Old 08-29-2006 | 08:25 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

Cold Air= HP

Old 08-29-2006 | 11:16 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional

Cold air in the intake is not an issue. I ran a two stage nitros system on a Stang with a cooler in the trunk for the fuel lines, now that's cold. Unless you have water in your fuel system, no problemo. I agree with what RP said, it's the nasty things that sub zero temps do to wrong viscosity oil and poor/old antifreeze that creates the problems that lead to engine wear and failure.

Quick Reply: When is the air to cold??