2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Uncranked torsion bars and handling...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
demarco0129
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncranked torsion bars and handling...

The ride on my 99 sport 4x4 5sp. club cab was very rough and annoying so i decided to take it to a local auto shop up by my college(i have a certain plcaei like to go when im back home but had no choice here.) I asked them if they thought new shocks/struts would help and they said perhaps. The mechanic uncranked the torsion bars to loosen the front end up a little bit. There is a suspension lift on my truck, and i was wondering if by uncranking the bars will the truck ride different? It feels like it does to me and i was wondering what else i need to do besides get an alignment soon. Also, with this suspension lift is there anyway i can make the ride smoother? Also it seems that since i have gotten up to school here my truck has ran rough and when i shift now it kinda stutters for a second. The stick itself seems to have loosened up and it seems easier to shift the stick from gear to gear. Could these things just be a coincidence or am I making things up in my head?

Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Twiztid
Veteran
Default RE: Uncranked torsion bars and handling...

I don't know about some of your little issues, but if you wanted a comfy ride, you bought the wrong truck.

And you should never have struts on a off-road vehicle.

My only 2 cents

Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insightful input.

Are there any differences between your home town and where your school is? Temp, altitude, etc?

Unfortunately you bought a truck. You want smooth you should look into a Ridgeline or a Tundra, Dakotas are working trucks and they handle like it. You could try softer shocks but I don't know that it'll help much. Uncranking the torsion bars should have lowered the front end a little bit and put less pre-load on the bars, so it might have the effect of a softer spring rate, but again I don't know that it would be noticeable.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:44 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Go to a different shop, have them put the torsion bars BACK to where they should be. Loosening the torsion bars can affect safe handling of the truck. Its a TRUCK, not a Cadillac. If you want a smoother ride, you shouldnt buy a 4x4. Sorry but thats just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Uncranked torsion bars and handling...