2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck won't start, i think something with security

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 AM
woodyjp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start, i think something with security

Hey,
I just went outside and tried to start my truck, however when i unlocked the doors, the outside flashers and all the lights in the dash started to blink on and off. When i turned the key to try to start the truck, all you could hear was a faint whining sound, nothing with the engine turning over or anything. It has to be something with the security system in the truck but i have no clue what it is. Is it as easy as unhooking the battery, and hooking it back up, or could it be a fuse, or maybe even a timer control module maybe. Anything would help, considering i need it to drive to school tomorrow morning.
Thanks,
Woody

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Truck won't start, i think something with security

First thing I would do is make sure the relay is good. The relays are located under the hood, in the Power Distribution Center. You will see what I'm talking about. Switch the Starter relay with a known good one (such as, the A/C relay, or Fog Lamp relay). Than try to start it. If the starter engages, its a bad relay. Just go to any local autoparts store and their like $10 or so.
Also: try starting it while the transmission is in neutral if it does't work in park.
Let us know what you find.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck won't start, i think something with security

when you unlock your truck with the remote the marker lights and dash lights flash twice this is normal, did you check your battery and cables?

Quick Reply: Truck won't start, i think something with security