2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Gas mileage with ethanol gas?? WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 AM
DODGERAM808
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas mileage with ethanol gas?? WTF!!

hey mean, do you have any pics of your intake? my intake was on when i bought the truck so im not sure of the actual gain im getting from it. i've never been a big airraid fan. i've always been diehard k&n. but im sure the difference is small at best.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 AM
98Dodger4x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my neon been running like crap and I losed about 4 mile per gallon on it. I only drive my truck 2 miles a day.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 AM
The_Archiprelate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ethanol blend gasoline produces lower mileage because there is less power in ethanol than there is in gasoline. For vehicles with a flex fuel setup that allows them to run E-85, this has to compensated for by the computer. Generally, the vehicle will have a sensor in the take that measure alcohol content in the tank. When the sensor sees a real hi percentage (like close to 85) it increases the pulsewidth of the injectors and I believe advances the ignition timing. This is why your mileage is ****tier, it takes more ethanol to produce the same amount of power as a given quantity of gasoline. Also, they don't just mix ethanol in gas for emissions purposes. This is a big benefit but even "pure gasoline" these days at the pumps will contain at least 2 or 3% ethanonl usually to boost the octane rating. Once Detroit couldn't use leaded gasoline anymore someone had to think of something to keep us from having engines that knocked and preignited all over the place.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage with ethanol gas?? WTF!!