2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

any opinions would be great

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
demarco0129
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any opinions would be great

Hey guys, as i have said before i have a 99 v6 4x4 5sp. when i bought it used it had a suspension lift on it and the bars were cranked. i loosened the front end a little by loosening the bars, and now the front end seems really loose. the place i took it to said that they set the bars correctly now, and i can tell that the front end is a couple inches lower then the back. when shifting gears i can feel te front end lower a little bit when i hit the clutch. Im pretty sure this truck was beat to hell before i got a hold of it, and i think the power steering pump is going. Also, the oil pump seems to be acting up. When i start the truck the gauge goes up 3/4 of the way, once it warms up it goes down to about a 1/4 at idle. but when i rev it goes back up to 3/4. also, when i check my oil on the dipstick it always shows that it is way too much. i dont have much money since i am going to school, but i want to make sure its gonna last me a couple of winters in northern Minnesota. any suggestions on things to take care of first? i put a flowmaster 40 on it, and it sounds decent at times once the engine warms up, but kinda sounds like a rice burner at other times. is there anything i can do to make it louder? it revs up so fast since its a manual that i dont really know if i can get the sound i like. i was also looking at a cai so i can get a little more power out of this weak v6, but i am unsure if its worth spending the money on that or if i need to save for when something else goes wrong.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: any opinions would be great

if your dipstick is reading too much oil and you are sitting on a level surface, you have too much oil in your truck. the reason your guage is high when you first start the motor, is because the motor is cold, and will expand when it heats up, lowering the overall oil pressure inside the motor. i also have the 40 series flowmaster and have no complaints. it will never sound like a v8, because its not.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:12 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make it louder, but it's still going to be a V6 and it'll never sound like a v8.

Oil pressure sounds normal.

Dipstick level - drain it and fill it with the appropriate amount. Check the oilpan for dents.

The front end on these things is pretty soft. I hate the suspension setup.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM
demarco0129
Professional

thanks guys, does anyone have any suggestions for next mod? i wish i woulda done an entire exhaust instead of just the muffler, would that have maed a difference?i heard these v6's are too restrictive to do much with. throttle body spacers are a waste of money i hear, so im sort of at a loss of what would help.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/m_567473/tm.htm

Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

I have a 3.9L 5speed too, I don't know what kind of muffler I have but it sounds so nice.

You can try something that i'm doing-

I would deff look for a good high flow cat! that'll make it sound alot better(i'm going to hollow my cat out to see how it is, but i dunno if the ECU will like it, but im getting a programmer and your soposed to beable to disable the codes/errors that come up)

Headers... the cheapest ones I can find are like 380$, just do a search and there by Gibson.

DEF a CAI, I bought one from Autozone and put a heat shield on the side towards the engine to keep heat away and it does just as good as the K&N and other brands that people are paying like 200-300$ for.

I'd get High performance Spark Wires, Cap, Rotor(Check your Plugs)

Also what i'm looking into right now is UnderDrive Pulleys, i'm doing some research on them and deciding if I want to get some(I only can spend so much...), but they say you get better MPG, its special pulleys that let the engine turnover faster, results in better MPG they say... also a guy said non of his electrical ran worse.

Also other 3.9L owners showed me they swapped there stock TB for a V8 TB, and on EbayMotors this guy sells 50MM V8 TB's for 130$(This is sopposed to be a big power adder everyone is telling me.....)

and ofcourse the HyperTech Power Programmer III, 280$

now after all that is finnished(I'm still working on some audio/visual stuff right now too...) i'm looking into High perf fuel injectors, Cam work and ported heads.. but that'll be later...

But if you can, DEF get the CAI and CAT! also spark system upgrade and headers(iff u can) and all that will give you MPG/HP/TQ ++

Hope this was some help, later man.

Quick Reply: any opinions would be great