2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What to look for 02 Quad Cab 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Ptrbilt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for 02 Quad Cab 5.9L

Hello Everyone

I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2002 Quad Cab 4X4 with the 5.9L V8. This is coming from a Chevrolet dealer. Are there any specific things that I should be looking at before finalizing the purchase.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to everyones responses.

Peter B

Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What to look for 02 Quad Cab 5.9L

I've got one of those.

1) Pull the air hat off and look down into the intake manifold - you may need a big adjustible wrench to get that plastic nut off, and a flashlight. If you see oil puddles, then the intake plenum gasket needs to be changed. It's about a 4-book hour job so if you don't turn your own wrench, and there's no warranty, it'll cost about $400 all told.

2) Check the upper ball joints, as they should have been replaced under recall.

3) Check the 4wd actuator - if the lights don't change and you can't feel/hear anything happening, then the transfer case motor needs to be replaced. I believe that's another several hundred bucks if you pay to have it done. Mine went out about a month after I bought the truck, but I had a warranty so it only cost me $50.

WEEKLY I make sure I use the 4wd just to keep everything lubed up and working. It's my own little theory, that if you don't use it it'll quit working when you need it.

Other than that, there isn't really much to look for. Those are the main problem areas. Oh, take it out on the freeway, romp the gas, play around a bit. If the tranny seems hinky at all, be aware that the trannies do tend to have problems, like all Dodge trucks, especially if they're overheated. I tend to drive around town with OD off to keep it from hunting for gears.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Ptrbilt

Thanks for the heads up on theses things.

How can I tell if the upper ball joints have been replaced under the recall? I assume that if they haven't been then I can still have it done at a Dodge dealer?

I turn my own wrenches so the rest of the stuff doesn't bother me. I definately agree with your 4WD once a week theory. My 88 Jeep vacuum actuator went out after a summer of no use. Everthing had just seized up.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 09-23-2006, 02:19 PM
horatio102
Champion

Those stupid vacuum actuators... I got rid of mine after swapping cams and I didn't have enough vacuum to keep it engaged (in my ram).

How can you tell? I dunno, best bet would be to run the vin by your local dodge dealer and see what they can tell you. I would guess that they'll have it noted that it was performed or not.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on top of the ball joints if they are held in by a nut then it has been done. The original ball joints were held on by rivets which makes changing them a royal PITA and it ended up biting Dodge in the butt this time.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 AM
horatio102
Champion

Ah, good to know!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Ptrbilt

Thanks for the info guys. I bought the truck and brought it home yesterday. Today's plan is to go over everything and I'll check the ball joints for sure.

Thanks again,
Peter

Quick Reply: What to look for 02 Quad Cab 5.9L