2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Coolant Leak - then no leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 AM
SMS98BigBlock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak - then no leak

Others have posted similar problem:
98 Dakota Sport 2DR 2WD 3.9L
Today, engine ran hot while traveling back home, coolant leak quickly from between tranny and engine, freeze plug? Maybe I thought.

Added water, carried gallons with me to get to nearest town/tow service.

Stopped to check water level... none needed. Plus leak stopped.

Got to parts store, bought items (all possible for repair job) left running - no leak

Turned on heater - no leak... AC on... no leak, no overheat either.

HHMPH! What the heck happened??

Old 07-16-2004, 07:09 AM
myteamouse
Default RE: Coolant Leak - then no leak

I'm not up on all the computerized engine stuff, but I do have a possible explaination. On older engines these symptoms could indicate that your thermastat is about to give you problems!
Just a thought. Myteamouse
ORIGINAL: SMS98BigBlock

Others have posted similar problem:
98 Dakota Sport 2DR 2WD 3.9L
Today, engine ran hot while traveling back home, coolant leak quickly from between tranny and engine, freeze plug? Maybe I thought.

Added water, carried gallons with me to get to nearest town/tow service.

Stopped to check water level... none needed. Plus leak stopped.

Got to parts store, bought items (all possible for repair job) left running - no leak

Turned on heater - no leak... AC on... no leak, no overheat either.

HHMPH! What the heck happened??

Old 07-18-2004, 08:28 AM
myteamouse

Forgot to mention another possibility, water pump. They are designed to allow coolant to leak around the bearing when the bearing becomes worn so you can replace in your garage instead of on the side of the road someplace, with a damaged engine. That's what the little hole on the front is for, it is also low enough on the engine to make it possible for the leak to appear to be comming from farther back. Just something to check, I don't mean to be condescending, I know most people aware of the things I've mentioned. Not knowing your level of mechanical expertise, I thought it might worth mentioning these possibilities.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Watermelon1035521

I just had the same problem. Motor started overheating so I stopped to check under hood. Coolant was leaking from front of motor around the waterpump.

I Filled up overflow tank and drove some more and the temp came down and the leak fixed itself.

I've know driven it for 4 hours and no more problems.

I took belt off and looked for play in the water pump bearing and found none. Usually when the water pump goes bad the bearings are gone and causes the shaft to wobble which in turn screws up the seal and lets the antifreeze run out.

Where did the leak come from and why did it stop?

Rob

Old 01-20-2006, 12:31 PM
treed

I know I'm drudging up an old thread, but a similar thing happen to me on my '98 Dakota. After work, I drove the truck about a 1/2 mile to the gas station. Fill it up, went inside to pay and then on the way out I noticed a small amount of antifreeze under the truck and a drip every few seconds coming from my truck. I crawl underneath and the drip was coming off the crankcase pulley. I thought, water pump. I then open the hood, and there was a small pool next to the pulley bracket near where the upper radiator hose was. I check the hose and it looked okay. I started the truck up and the leak disappear. Drove it home and check again with the engine running. No drip and the small pool on top of the engine was gone. Turned off the truck, no leak. Put cardboard under the truck and then check again about a hour later. No leak. Started it up again, no leak. Let it run for a few minutes, check again, no leak. Repeated this again after about 3 to 4 hours of letting it cool down. Again, no leak. Check the clamp on the upper radiator hose, it was tight. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
treed

Oh, I forgot to mentioned, it's a 3.9L V-6.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM
treed

I found my leak. It was the by-pass hose from the water pump to the intake. It's now fixed.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - then no leak