2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cv joints or cv axle?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
cincy_04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv joints or cv axle?!?

how do you know that these might be going out? i get a "knock" or "click" sometimes when i turn but i dont think it is the ball joints, anyone had this or these pieces replaced? how much am i lookin at....thanks

Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: cv joints or cv axle?!?

i am guessing that you have a 4wd truck. a cv joint is on an axle in two places; where the axle comes together with the wheel, and where the axle comes together with the front dif. around these joints are rubber housings called "cv boots". these boots contain a lubricant to keep the joints moving freely. once a boot becomes ripped, or seperates, this lubricant drains out of the boot and the joint is no longer lubricated. once this joint has been in use for a while with no lubricant, it will start "clicking" around turns, and eventually, whenever you are in motion. unfortunately, you will most likely have to replace both front axels. how much? i dont know. look on ebay or around the internet for the best deal.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM
gutted
Veteran
Default RE: cv joints or cv axle?!?

http://carboneracing.com/cvjoints.html

Just a little write up I did on cv joints in case anyone needs some pictures too!

Quick Reply: cv joints or cv axle?!?