2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bed liner/cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed liner/cover

I'm looking into getting a bed liner and cover for my truck, before winter comes. I drive a 2002 Dakota. What should i look for, and where? Whats the best brand of both, but also at a good price?

Whats the cheapest I'm going to find?

IF i have to choose one or the other, which is more important?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Twiztid
Veteran
Default RE: Bed liner/cover

I do not know about bed covers, but Line-X bed liners are THE BEST. Don't waste your money on a plastic one.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

I suggest you save money and do the bedliner yourself, it isn't that hard. Go to autozone and get the herculiner kit. It's about 90 bucks, as compared to hundreds of dollars on getting it sprayed on. It's fun to do stuff on your own anyway. As for the bed cover. I suggest going on Ebay. I did and I got a tonneau around 150 bucks, and that's including the shipping, it wasn't used.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
red9535
Professional

Alright, Since money is a factor here, heres what i found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tonne...35446105QQrdZ1

Found that one. What do you guys think?

And I decided i'm going to use the herculiner. Anything i should know about that before I do it?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

thats the exact cover i got.

As for teh herculiner..not that difficult, just takes a lot of work and time. It is going to come with a scuff pad. You need to first clean ur bed from dirt and such, then use the scuff pad and you have to degloss the whole bed...this is important, because the herculiner will apply better wen there is no gloss finish. They also require you to get some xylene or xylol, whatever it's called. You can get that at acehardware for idk...$5? I think that's how much it is...but anyway. Once you scuff it all up, yoiu have to clean the bed with the xylene. It's basically like laquer thinner, not as strong. Mark off all the edges and stuff you do not want the liner to be on with masking tape. This includes the tailgate hardware, the sides, and the bottom of the tailgate. Now you open the can, and you need to mix it good. Just get a stick or something, be patient with this step. Then you take the brush and you dab all the corners and stuff with the herculiner that the roller will not be able to get. Once that's done, you can go ahead and start using the brush. If you ever accidently get some drops of the liner on ur truck...just use the xylene while its not dry. Once you finish that...you must wait a few hours until the bed is dry, and not tacky. Do NOT wait after 24 hours, otherwise yoiu have to go thru the whole cleaning process again...you have to add another coat of herculiner. (you shld have plenty of herculiner for 2 coats). Just repeat the application process. Then wait a day or so...and you can enjoy the new bedliner!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

I have to disagree. I have never seen a home spray job look as good or last as long as a line-x/rhino lining. The line-x has a lifetime warranty and adds 250 bucks to your vehicle value. You get what you pay for.