2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

00 dak 4x4 sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 AM
m00dy_
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 dak 4x4 sluggish

Hey guys i recently converted to mopar from ford..man was it worth it!!!! so here's my problem. i live in wisconsin, and right now its about 30 degrees out now, i've noticed when my truck is cold, it seems to almost miss when around 2100-2300 rpms before i shift, its really sluggish, and if i got over 3000rpms to see if it cleans up..its still sluggish...also a few days ago it started to pop and backfire like a bad coil, but i had recently installed a new coil in this 3.9 thinkin that was the problem. also when the truck idols it has an iradic idol speeds up..then 10 seconds later slows down..then speeds up and so on...i have no error codes on my ECU....could this be a ECU related problem u guys think?? my truck is a 00 dak reg cab 4x4 with true dual exhaust no cats..i thought the cats may be an issue but the research i saw was it will gain then hurt me...any ideas about a bad ecu?? sometimes starts goofy..gauges go back and forth a few times when i first start it also...any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 AM
daksprt4x4
Default RE: 00 dak 4x4 sluggish

i would try cleaning the throttle body, check out the tps sensor. maybe run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner? did u check the plugs and wires, dist cap?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i think the better question is why you arent getting a check engine light from not having any cats. did you have them wired to not trip the sensor? also, what kind of oil are you running in that temperature?

Old 10-18-2006, 07:15 AM
m00dy_

ive got ways of making check engine lights not come on with NO Cats..all u do is relocate them ..i gave it a complete tune up plugs wires cap rotor all the goods, rad. flush trans flush basically ALL NEW FLUIDS...and as far as oil goes i run 5w-30 i beleive in cold weather lil thinner weight. possible MAF?or MAP whichever one it is on this truck? trying to diagnose..and asfar as my throttle body goes..i have NO carbon on it whats so ever....TPS sensor wouldnt be my problem..it would have a funky idol or irratic acceleration by itself..definatley not my problem...............i got 0 codes wtf is up guys???

Old 10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

Something that you could try, I doubt it will do anything but it's worth a try. You should try and rest the computer. Take off the (+) termial on the battery. And keep it off for about 5-10 minutes and then put it back on. It might have just done something weird and resetting it may fix it, but then I doubt it but worth a try.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: m00dy_

ive got ways of making check engine lights not come on with NO Cats..all u do is relocate them ..i gave it a complete tune up plugs wires cap rotor all the goods, rad. flush trans flush basically ALL NEW FLUIDS...and as far as oil goes i run 5w-30 i beleive in cold weather lil thinner weight. possible MAF?or MAP whichever one it is on this truck? trying to diagnose..and asfar as my throttle body goes..i have NO carbon on it whats so ever....TPS sensor wouldnt be my problem..it would have a funky idol or irratic acceleration by itself..definatley not my problem...............i got 0 codes wtf is up guys???
this is probably part of your problem. the readings the upstream o2 sensor gets directly effects the air/fuel ratio your motor receives. even if you dont have a downstream one, at least have an upstream o2 sensor. give it a shot and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: 00 dak 4x4 sluggish