2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Noise from the rearend

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:42 PM
tntitans21399
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from the rearend

I have recently noticed that my 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 3.9L V6 with 2wd has been making a noise coming from the rearend. I plan on going by and buying a haynes book to see if can help me find out what it is. The truck runs great and tows great without promblems. It is just when I turn sharpe I can hear a noise (like a grinding feel) coming from the rear end. I lifted the truck off the ground and got under the vechile and was able to locate that it is coming from the front part of the rear end. So I know it's not the rain gear or pinion, but it most be some part near the front of the rear end. I don't know if it is a part that maybe got worned down a little and needs to be replaced but not right away or if it is something needs to be replaced right away before more damage. I know about engines, but not alot about rear ends. Has anyone had this promblem? I know enough that I know that you would have to take the rain gear and pinion out to get the part making the noise. So I don't think it is something I can do, I might need to take it in. But If I can find the part I can buy a a better one at a better price then buying cheap expensive part from them.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:49 PM
boats001
Default RE: Noise from the rearend

Hey do you have a posi trac rear end. Does the noise get louder when you make a turn. If this is the case you may have a broken clutch plate inside the posi trac. I just replaced mine on my 2001 dakota if you need any help or places for parts look me up

Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

I went and had the fluid changed to see if that might be it. It doesn't make the noise when turning, but now I have noticed when I am slowing done I can hear a small noise, that you really have to listen for, mainly becausee the dual exhaust. I was going to jack it up and put it in neutral and move the tires and drive shaft to see if I can tell where the noise might be coming from. I don't think it has anything to do with the r. gear & pinion, but maybe more of the front of the diff. Would it still do those things if it is the broken cluth plate? And I can do some light maintance (replacing brakes, rotors, water pump, starter, etc...) so I was wondering how hard it would be to fix. SomethingI can do, or is something just to leave with the pros? Any help is great.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Can you desribe this noise a bit more? From experience I had a squeak coming from the rear as I slowed down. I took it to a shop for an inspection and they told me I had worn U-joints. The squeak I had would squeak all the time, but only at a certain point of rotation. I'm not sure if this situation refers to you. I guess if you can somehow lift the rear end and have the engine running, and push the gas a little but while it's in gear and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
lone_wolfin

i occasionally have a noise that comes from my rear end also....usually after eating pork (&/or) beans[sm=smiley36.gif]

Serious though...I used to work for a GM dealership (i did all their rear axles repairs).
If it is coming from the front part of the center of the rear axle, it would most likely be the front Pinion Bearing.

The axles, center section, and pinion (rear axle input shaft)would all have to come out.
Then the front pinion seal removed to get to the front bearing.
Then the front brg race should be replaced, and you might as well do the other pinion brg and race while you are there......
If it was me, i would probably just replace all the brgs, races, and seals while you have it apart.
Inspect the axle shafts for scoring/pitting where the bearing rides.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

The noise I get I only get when I'm slowing down, not when I'm taking off. It's not very loud, hardly noticable and doesn't change with speed. I don't know how to describe it, it is kind of like when your engine whins downs when your going down hill. I know it's not the engine, but that kind thing. I guess it's when the rear end is slowing down.

Quick Reply: Noise from the rearend