2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Speaker/Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Accel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker/Woofer

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 Dakota (just recently purchased!) and it has the stock Infity sound system. I've noticed that the woofer on the bottom of the driver door has started to rattle, so I'm assuming that it's shot. What kind of aftermarket replacement would you guys recommend? Would you put it in yourself or have someone do it for you? An idea of the cost would be a great help as well.

Great Site, Thanks.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:27 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: Speaker/Woofer

The driver's door speaker is a 6.5" If you have the Infinity system you would know it. There would be a seperate tweeter near the top of the door that says Infinity on it. It should also say on the factory headunit. And if you pull off the passenger kick panel, you'll see about 1/3 of the factory infinity amplifier sticking down from under the dash.

You can replace the door speaker with any aftermarket 6.5" speaker. If it IS the Infinity system, the factory speaker is a 2-ohm speaker, so if you do replace it with an aftermarket (most likely 4-ohm speaker) it will get only half of the power from the amplifier because of the change in impedence. This is fine though and you probably won't notice a huge differnence If you don't have the Infinity system you're all set. The speakers will then be regular 4-ohm speakers.

You can easily change them yourself, just make sure you get the polarity right, and there is a speaker adapter you'll need to make it bolt up to the factory holes and move it out closer to the door panel., but other than that, its a simple job.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Accel

Thanks for the info. It IS the Infinity system.

Looking forward to fixing it, thanks.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM
mooshimanx

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9

The driver's door speaker is a 6.5" If you have the Infinity system you would know it. There would be a seperate tweeter near the top of the door that says Infinity on it. It should also say on the factory headunit. And if you pull off the passenger kick panel, you'll see about 1/3 of the factory infinity amplifier sticking down from under the dash.

You can replace the door speaker with any aftermarket 6.5" speaker. If it IS the Infinity system, the factory speaker is a 2-ohm speaker, so if you do replace it with an aftermarket (most likely 4-ohm speaker) it will get only half of the power from the amplifier because of the change in impedence. This is fine though and you probably won't notice a huge differnence If you don't have the Infinity system you're all set. The speakers will then be regular 4-ohm speakers.

You can easily change them yourself, just make sure you get the polarity right, and there is a speaker adapter you'll need to make it bolt up to the factory holes and move it out closer to the door panel., but other than that, its a simple job.
Um, you do realize that impedance mismatches can severely damage the head unit right...? Why not simply get the same impedance speakers; or modify the output to the proper impedance.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

lol Um.. do you realize the headunit doesn't see the change in impedence? The Infinity system uses a seperate amplifier. It is perfectly fine to run different impedences on an amplifier. If you couldn't you wouldnt be able to tri-mode or run interiors AND a sub on a 4-channel.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 PM
mooshimanx

I fail to see what's so funny...you suggested the guy mismatch his impedances, which with most solid state amplifiers, which are frequently MOSFET power sources, just like car amps, you will blow the OT by doing that. Even if the Infinity system has an amplifier, it's not any different, you're just damaging the OT on a different part right? Why couldn't you damage the amplifier? I've never heard that it was ok to run impedance mismatches on anything other than old fashioned tube amplifiers. Unless there are outputs for different impedances, I don't see where you get the logic it's ok on an amp and not on the headunit; they're the same thing, a head unit HAS an amplifier in it. The preamp signal is line level, you wouldn't be able to hear it without a power amp somewhere.

Edit: checked it out; I goofed; ss amps don't have OTs

But in any case, mismatches can burn the amp; but an expert says, you're probably ok with a minor mismatch.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

I'm not saying mismathing is the perfect solution, but it's harmless in this case, I gaurantee it. 2-ohm coaxials aren't exactly abundent.