2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Buzzing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing Noise

I was just reading a post about someone who had a buzzing noise that he thought was the fan. Amongst the replys, someone said it happens on his and was told it was the tranny.
It reminded me that I get a buzzing noise when I put it into gear from Park or Nuetral. It only does it for a couple of seconds, and you need a window open to hear it. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buzzing Noise

Check your tranny fluid level before you move any further with that thought.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 PM
V8Boss
Professional

I asked that same question a while ago because mine does the ame thing. The answer that I got was that it is the solenoid putting it into gear. That guy might have been a dumb *** and I might have been one for listening to him.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
TSHRECK

I don't know, thats my question too. Although my noise started out as a clinking sound and it now sounds like a high pitched sqeal.... metal spinning against metal. I thought it was a U joint going bad but the drive shaft doestn't shake or shimmy when I grab ahold of it. Also it only does it when I press on the accelerator.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V8boss's reply sounds most like mine. I haven't checked the fluid level yet, will do it to tomorrow as its the easiest thing to eliminate. I like the solonoid theory, as it sounds sort of electrical. As I said, its pretty quiet. I only noticed it when I had my window open, you can't hear it with it closed. It only does it for a second or two, literaly for as long as it takes for the clutch packs/bands to do thier thing and get ready to drive or reverse. As soon as they're fully engaged, it stops. It certainly isn't as worrying as the sound Tshreck is getting. Will let you know more after I've checked the oil level.

Regards,

Paul

Old 12-03-2006, 12:17 PM
racin_40
Rookie

i am not sure since this is a jeep liberty but maybe the dakota share the same tranny or something ,but with my wifes liberty which is a 02' makes a wierd click then buzzing sound when it goes into gear
never heard anything like it before and the day we bought it i asked the mechanic where we bought it and he told me it was the electronics on the tranny

Quick Reply: Buzzing Noise