2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Storing the Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing the Dakota?

Hi,

I was wondering if I should disconnect the battery and put it on jack stands for the winter? I plan not to drive it until Spring, when the weather is nice. I also have a full tank of gas... any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Storing the Dakota?

Use an automatic battery tender, change your oil before storage if it is not to be stored in a heated place, fill the fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer (less exposed surface for condensation) and put her away clean! Waxing it before putting it away will help to ensure that dirt is not holding moisture against your paint/chrome. A good idea is purchase the fuel stabilizer, but do not put it in the gas tank until you fill it up at the gas station. This will allow the fuel stabilizer to work its way into your system on your drive home.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:12 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I put mine away all I did was wash it, changed oil, checked tire pressure, geased all fittings, unhooked battery, covered up air filter, put steelwool in exhaust, and put a car cover on it. and I also put moth ***** all around it to keep mice out of it.

I got mine undercoated last year so I wont have to do it for a while, since I dont rive mine in the winter.
________
FIX PS3

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 AM
5mtDakota47
Amateur

Well, I followed some of your instructions...

Now with Spring coming around, and dang, it looks like some nice weather is about to show up! I can't wait to drive it! What do you all recommend about "unstoring" it?

I know I should likely change the oil, wash and wash it... and make sure no animals found their way into the engine.

Anything else?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting mine out this weekend I would change the oil, check tire pressure, and check all fluid levels, and diff fluid.checkfor any animals. then give her a good wash and take her for a drive.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Drive it like you stole it.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur

Sounds like a good idea...

Yeah, I'm going to change the oil in it, and check all of the fluids well before I drive it.

It's a nice sunny 40F outside right now... but where I've got it stored, I can't get it out until some more of the snow melts so I can get it out. Probably this Sunday, I'll take it out for a spin or two. I do hope that it is sunny and a little bit warmer than it is today so I can roll the windows down a little bit.

It's just so much fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Storing the Dakota?