2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sound System Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
phatjohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Question

I found out that I'm getting a sirious satellite radio for my 03 Dak this X-mas. I have the six speaker stock system now, question is. has anyone installed one of these systems themselves? Is it a fairly easy install or should I spend the money to have it done?

TIA

phatjohn

Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Sound System Question

Does it come with instructions and all needed mounting hardware?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the portartable units or is it a whole new deck for your truck, if its the portable kind that uses its own dock in your truck, then all you have to do is either run it though an FM Transmitter, of if you "hardwire" it you need a 30dollor FM Modulator that just intercepts your antanna from the back of the radio. It doesnt require to do anything to the speakers or radio itself.

Now if your getting a Satillite Radio Ready Deck, then yes you will have to get parts to make it fit, and rewire some ****, it also requires a 100 dollor siruis box that plugs into the back of the deck.

Let me know what it is, ill be able to help a bit more.

I work at best buy and i sell these things all day in the car audio department.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 AM
phatjohn

As far as I know it comes with all the hardware and instructions. Here is the link for the model I'm getting

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7872

I read the Instalation Tips on their web page and it seems like to get the best performance out of the unit that you need to use either of the following installation methods;

BETTER

SIRIUS FM Direct Adapter
If your car radio does not have an “AUX IN” or “LINE IN” jack, the SIRIUS FM Direct Adapter provides a wired connection between your SIRIUS radio and your car radio. You will listen to your Sirius radio through the FM tuner of your car radio, but the FM Direct Adapter eliminates the outside static and interference you sometimes experience when using a wireless FM connection.
Note: Professional installation may be required. See your local SIRIUS retailer.
Note: The SIRIUS FM Direct Adapter is available at your local SIRIUS retailer or at http://shop.sirius.com

BEST

Direct Wired Audio Connection
If your car radio offers an “AUX IN” or “LINE IN” it is the best audio connection available. If the “AUX IN” or “LINE IN” jack is located on the front of your car radio, this is also the easiest connection.

Purchase an audio cable that matches the connection type of your car radio and your SIRIUS radio at your local electronics retailer. Your SIRIUS radio requires a 1/8” stereo male connector. Your local electronics retailer can help you determine the proper connection for your car radio.

Plug one end of the cable into the “AUDIO OUT” or “LINE OUT” jack on your SIRIUS radio. Plug the other end into your “AUX IN” or “LINE IN” jack on your car radio.
NOTE: Refer to your car radio manufacturer’s guidelines for correct installation.

NOTE: If the “AUX IN” or “LINE IN” connection is on the back of your car radio, you may want to consider professional installation.

Does anyone know if there is a "AUX IN" or "LINE IN" on the back of the stock radio?

Another thing that kinda has me wondering is the "low profile magnetic antenna" that is mentioned in the product description.

TIA

phatjohn

Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are things you can buy to convert the factory CD input act like an AUX input, if you've got the cd changer option (infinity system only?) then you could probably make it work. I know I got one to interface with my iPod and it works great, but it's not an aux input but an iPod dock connector.

Quick Reply: Sound System Question