2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

winding noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Ethica19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winding noise

I've got this funny noise that just started, whenever I slow down there's a winding noise and vibration I can feel on the driver's side floor board and goes up my steering column. Is there something that needs to get tightened or lubricated??? I'm also still having problems w/ my 4X4, it engages fine but as soon as I step on the gas I hear this clunking noise, the same when the wheel is slightly turned. I thought it would be my cv joints but they look fine, no wear on the boots. I changed the differential fluid recently ( no shavings) and transfer case fluid (the same) I've started to hear that noise when I'm driving, up to 35 mph. Anyone got any ideas??? This Dakota has been full of problems, maybe its time to trade her in.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Erich_121
Veteran
Default RE: winding noise

you know it sounds like you need new U-joints. When in 4 wheel drive a clunking noise is usually u-joints. A bad u joint can give you a whinding noise too. I would have a mechanic take a look at them, or yourself, and see if the need to be replaced. Get back to me after you have check that.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

and a bad cv joint will make a distict clicking noise when turning.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

yeah doesn't sound like the clicking for CV joints, but I will take a look at my U joints, I'm sure they've never been changed. Is that something difficult to change yourself? She also makes a loud clunking noise when I take her out of 4 high back to 2 hi. Thanks for any insight

Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

I just had all 3 of my u-joints in the front driveshaft replaced. I no longer have a clunking noise when i first step on the gas or let off the gas. Also the chirping and grinding i was hearing is gone. I think in most cases bad u-joints are %90 of the problem. If you are hearing clunking noises only in 2 wheel drive it can still be the front drive shaft u-joints, even thought there isnt much load on them. I would replace all your u-joints. They are about $15 a peice. Doing it yourself isnt a bad idea if you know what your doing. The rear drive shaft isnt hard at all. Just take the botls that hold the driveshaft straps on and slide it out. It takes some work to get the old ones out. You need a vice and a huge ball pen hammer. The front is even harder because its a double-cardan. Personaly i would take it to a trusted mechanic and have him do it. Its a ****ty job. I had my 3 front ones done for 60 bucks. i did the rear myself. Good luck!

Quick Reply: winding noise