2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newb needing dodge owner insight!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
roadlet_411
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needing dodge owner insight!

Heya guys, I'm Jason (roadlet_411) and I'm currently an owner of an 01 Blazer. I'm wanting this 01 Dakota (4x4, ext. cab) that's at the dealership with about 95k miles on it. I've beat the crap out of my blazer since I've had it... Replaced the rear end, transmission, intake gaskets, fuel injector spider, etc... It's time to move on, lol. Blazer has it's days numbered.

Basically, I need some advice about the dakota, if I can get it. It's got the smallest v8, which I think my current v6 puts out as much power but eats more gas, lol. And it's a 4x4. I know about every problem associated with a 4.3 and it's related drivetrain parts, but I'm totally clueless when it comes to the dodges. I'm supposed to go check out this truck Saturday and possibly run some numbers to see what it'll make my loan payments go to. I really want this truck, but I would like some ideas as for what to look for. I understand i'm a chevy guy here... but feel free to tell me some of the bad things so I don't get burnt with my first Dodge!

Thanks everyone!

And, Mods or any members, if this would be better posted in a different topic, please let me know or could you move it? I'm at 1600+ posts at s10forum.com and I know how noobs can be!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: Newb needing dodge owner insight!

welcome to DF...

when you say the smallest v8.. 4.7 or 5.2... they have 3 v8's depending on the year. if it's a 5.2 then I think your in good shape. although there are a couple of issues with the 5.2, they can be handled pretty easily. the biggest problem is the plenum gasket... in the older 5.2's the plenum would leak. dodge updated the gasket and that seems to have helped some. however I replaced 2 of the updated mopar gasket and they still leaked. the best one is the felpro.

another issue is the heads are prone to cracking between the valve seats. these heads are an excellent replacement set. It's my belief that if you swap the t-stat to a 180 deg and keep your cooling system maintained properly you wont have a problem with the heads.

the other issue is the t-stat... the housing will leak eventually with the gasket from the factory. if your going to swap over to the 180 deg t-stat, get the mopar gasket. not sure when they started using it but it has never failed on me and it has silicone built into the gasket so no added sealer is needed... just put it on dry and torque it down and you'll be good to go.

hope this helps...

Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
roadlet_411

Thanks so much for replying. Guess I was hoping several people would, though, lol.
Actually, I believe that it's the 4.7L v8 that's in it. Should've said that, sorry... What are some things I should maybe check out while I'm there? I can check the t-stat housing easily enough, but I don't really think they'll let me pull the heads to look for cracks, lol. I'm also wanting to know that the 4wd works correctly, but I've never had a 4wd, so I couldn't really say if it's working right or not.
Anybody else have some heads-up for me? Please throw it up!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:51 AM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional

My Dakota has a 4.7 L and I love it, it moves without thinking and I have 183 500 kms (114 700 miles) on 'er. I highly recommend the 4.7. More power than a 5.2 and better on gas. With the 4x4 I prefer the manual shifter compared to the electronic, it seems the electronic controlled ones can't withstand as much as a manual shifter. I would also recommend the 5 speed Auto and not the 4 speed. I have the 4 speed and I think a 5 speed would be a lot nicer, but still the 4 speed is good. There's my 2 cents!

Quick Reply: Newb needing dodge owner insight!