2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
KyleKoehler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this post and am experiencing same issues with CTM.

Not Working: Headlights, 4x4, powerlocks, interior lights, wipers all not working, possibly cruise.

Working: brake lights, turn signals, power windows, heater, radio

Want to replace CTM but good guys who work on my brakes and everything under the cars (who I trust 100%) says that if they replace CTM it still won't work at all until dealer flashes it. They suggested I NEED to go to dealership on this one.

I am reading elsewhere that only the keyless entry won't work if I replace CTM.

Can anyone confirm if I can replace CTM myself (with correct part) and get everything to work and then just go to dealership to get keyless entry working?

Called dealership and they want $267 for CTM and $127 to install (come on two screws and insert three plugs next to the emergency brake pedal... and they want $127!!!)

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can plug in your new CTM and all of the electrical accessories should all work again. Windows, locks, radio, dome and dash lights, turn signals should all be OK. If you or your mechanics install your new CTM the only thing that needs to be done separately is your original keyless entry remote control units will have to be programmed to the new CTM. The brain for the keyless entry is inside the CTM, so with the new CTM you will get a new keyless but have no remote controls programmed to it yet. The dealer can program it with their DRB scan tool but it sounds like your dealer charges way too much for everything. There is a post from one of the mods here up in the FAQ about how to program the keyless remotes yourself:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-program.html

I don't know if it will work for you because I don't know what year your truck is but it's worth a try before paying the dealer to do it. When you order your new CTM be sure to give the dealer your VIN so they can get the right CTM for you. There are 2 different ones, one for trucks with all the power options and keyless and one for trucks without the options.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
KyleKoehler
Default more info on truck

Jimmy

2003 Dakota, Quad Cab with 4x4 and electric windows and locks. (Small 3.9L V6).

Having trouble locating anybody with access to a CTM (or Time and Alarm Module as some people call it).

Mine is a P56049072AK... there is currently one on ebay called P56049071AD for $89 but worried it won't match up.

Called dealer and they gave me P56049072AL as the part number.

No wonder cars cost so much!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

On the CTM, I think it is best to buy from the dealer or a reputable online Dodge/Mopar parts website. I sure would not trust ebay or even a junk yard for something like a CTM, you could be taking a big chance on whether it works or not, and there's no guarantee of any kind of refund on a bad part. The dealer can order the correct CTM that you know will be the part you need.

A junk yard *might* give you a guarantee or 5 day refund or exchange warranty, something like that if you buy one from them but you would still be taking a risk on the reliability of the part. If you do go with ebay or a junk yard, you have to be certain the new-used CTM came from a donor truck with the exact same options as your own truck. Otherwise it will not work.

I stay away from dealers as much as possible, and I have no problems at all with using junk yard parts when I know they work and will be reliable, at least for a reasonable length of time (so I can get my money's worth out of it). On electrical parts though, it really is questionable whether to use a junk yard part. Sometimes though you have to bite the bullet and buy from the dealer. Maybe if you find it cheaper online, print it out and show it to the dealer and see if they will price match it for you.

I would check online Mopar parts sites, or maybe www.rockauto.com before going with an ebay CTM. Just my 2 cents there.

Jimmy

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
KyleKoehler
Default took the plunge

O.k. at lunch I went out and unplugged the CTM... played with wires and nothing. Came back inside and spent the $265 for the new unit at the dealer (AFTER calling every part supplier locally and getting the same responds... "Sorry that part can only be ordered from a dealer").

It will be in tomorrow.

On the way home (in daylight since again... no headlights)... I am driving in my car with the CTM exposed since I took off plastic car panel to get to it earlier. I think... "I wonder what would happen if I kicked it?" So with my free left foot (and cowboy boot) I whack the thing... and YES I here the automatic door locks go on!!! Everything is suddenly working.

I think... wow what should I do... do I have time to call the dealer and cancel. I stop a store on the way home and call the dealer cancelling the part. When I come out of the store the CTM is not working again.

I drive away repeated kicking the thing... this time it takes several taps to get it to work again.

I get home and take the thing apart looking for water damage as others have reported. Nothing. And it doesn't work when I reinstall... until I smack it with my hand.

With experimentation I discover that after the car sits for a while the CTM doesn't work. Turning car off and right back on is not problem.

I have a small wrench in the car and when I get in the car to start it up. I very slight rap on the cover (more towards the engine)... is like the "on" button. I have got it down to a VERY light tap in one spot.

OF COURSE I have called back the dealer and re-ordered the part. Not sure what tapping the case is doing inside but I am careful not to move any wires so I think the problem is definitely in the CTM.

I will report back when I get the new CTM.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

The fact you can hit/tap the CTM and it works indicates it's shot. Probably bad solder joints and/or swollen capacitors on its circuit board. It will fail completely, sooner or later. It's kind of a common problem on Dakota's. You are smart to replace it with a new one from the dealer, even though it costs so much. Let us know how it goes and whether the DIY keyless remote programming procedure works.

Jimmy

Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM
KyleKoehler
Default shot ctm

After reading some other posts I was hoping that I would find a caroded (spelling?) board. I am a software engineer... not a hardware engineer... but the thing looked perfect to me.

I agree it is shot, and while I won't let the wife or kids drive in it, it is great to have the 4-wheel drive and headlights working on this "storm of the century" winter day. I will let you know how the swap goes when the part comes in (I assume it won't be today since the ice storm hitting the Midwest seems to have everyone heading for the hills.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
hurricane6
Default please help

i have the same thing but i have power to the box under the hood and to the fuse box but no power to the light switch

Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
shadow_knows

I replaced the combination switch in the column and lights work except on brights , so I may have had the CTM going out also , but I traded it off months ago

Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Wetodd
Rookie

If you get a CTM from a junk yard the only issue will be that the Alram and Anti-thief do not work? Assuming you get one that has all the power options you have in your trunck.

I am ok with that if that is the case as my Fob does not work and my alarm keeps coming on when I open the dam doors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge