DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/86169-2002-dakota-ctm-problem-and-fix-for-everyones-knowledge.html)

lam71nova 12-21-2006 10:42 PM

2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

This is my first post so please bear with me as this will be long. First of all this is a great site and has some exceptional information on it. Now this is what happened. I own a 2002 dakota 4WD 4.7L extended cab. Last sunday I came out from christmas shopping, hit my remote unlock and nothing happened. Unlocked the doors manually (that sucks) and got in to find that my service 4WD light was on. I get home and start pulling fuses but to no avail. Had to do some family stuff, come home and go to lock the truck and find that the interior lights, headlights, parking lights, intermittent wipers, nothing worked. So I get on the computer and start searching. I found some website saying that the automatic door locks are sometimes connected to a CTM or DMT. Search this and find dodge forums link, https://dodgeforum.com/m_320311/tm.htmthis points me to believe that the CTM or center timer module may be at fault. I call the dealer on Monday and drop the truck off on tuesday AM and explain all the symptoms and so on. They call me later that day and say it is the PDC or power distribution center which will cost me $2502 to fix. Yes that figure is correct. The PDC is the large fuse box under the hood that controls the entire truck and comes only with the complete wiring harness and costs $1400 for the part alone. Well needless to say I did not have them do this. I went and bought a Haynes Service Manual and started reading. After looking at the wiring diagrams the problem seemed clear. It was the CTM. I also need to thank user CNIII on this site as he had nearly the same problem in the link above and replied to my email with great information.My brother and I picked the truck up on Thursday, went home, and within 15 minutes knew it couldn't be the PDC because there was power to the headlamp switch and the other items. After about an hour of probing, testing and retesting we came to the conclusion that it had to be the CTM. We decided to take a run to Collis Trucks (Allentown, Pa) andsee if they had a used module.They had one from a 2001 dakota 4.7L. $50 took it home with a handshake and guarantee that if it did not work I would get my money back. Got home, plugged in the 3 proms and voila everything worked again with the exception of the key fob which needs to be programmed to this module by a dealer. So a problem that would have cost me $2500 dollars at SCOTT Chrysler and not evenfix the problem really cost me $70 ($50 part, $20 service manual) and some time. Needless to say I will never take another vehicle back there again.

I am posting this so someone with the same symptoms will know where to look. Now be careful anytime you deal with electrical items on new vehicles be careful to disconnect the battery and avoid electrical charges or static. In my case It was this or throw a boat load of money down the drain, so we took our chances. It would be great to help prevent any similar horror stories. Be careful when using the service department at SCOTT Chrysler in Allentown, Pa.

dakota power door lock problems
dakota flickering headlights
dakota CTM problems

jonnymagnum 12-21-2006 11:11 PM

RE: 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

gladto hear it was a cheap fix.:D

Radman 12-22-2006 02:17 PM

My 02 4x4 4.7 Sport's CTM went nuts on me once but not as bad
as yours did.. My dome lights would not shut off. I ended up
disconnecting the battery (same as resetting the CPU) twice before
the problem *fixed* itself...

As far as dealerships (better known as Stealerships) go, you can't trust
a one anymore.. Just too bad a few of them give ALL of them a bad
name.

By the way, if that STUPID chime system drives any of you guys nuts
like it did me, remove the CTM, open it up and cut one foil trace to
the little chime in the center of the CTM. You still get all the warnings
displayed in the dash too. It can easily be soldered (bridged) back
together again if you ever want the chimes back.

Chris 12-22-2006 03:07 PM

Thank you for the write-up on this! Glad to hear you solved your problem cheap! Happy Holidays and welcome to the forum! ;)

PtownBubba 01-31-2007 06:01 PM

I am dealing with the same sort of thing with my 2002 Durango,,,, dome lights flash like a turn signal,,,, no headlights, or tail lights, ordash lights,, the left front headlight stays on,,, but even that flickers constanly,,, I was told that a "junk-yard module will not work, as the modules are vehicle specific,, as far as alarm codes and stuff. The guy made it sound like each module is set for each vehicle and can not be swapped ??????????

We did call a dealer, he said it could be the CTM,,, but bring it so they could test it with a code reader, to see what errors are there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,, geez,,,, given the description of yours and mine,,, and some others I have read,,,,,,,,,,, at 80 + bucks an hour at a Dodge Shop,,, plus testing fee,,,, plus new module,,,,, probably 5 to 600 dollar fix,,,,,,, junk yard module less than $100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmm,, should I roll the dice and try the junk yard module ???????

Chris 01-31-2007 07:36 PM

The member said that he got it from a different truck and it worked. I would save some money and see if it works. Also, the dealer will say anything to get you in there to spend your money. You might have to reprogram your remote entry keys, but I doubt it.

PtownBubba 01-31-2007 08:58 PM

yeah,,, weird,,,, on one hand, I can see reasons why you could not swap modules from one vehicle to another, yet again, if the vehicles are the same,,,,you would think it is like any engine or body part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crazy.

If we find a module from a wrecked Durango,,,,,,I wonder if the module will bring the error codes/messages from that vehicle to mine ?????? Wll it read an error or like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Remove tree from engine compartment ????

Or, if it has be disconnected a while,, will it forget all it had ?????????????? Don't realy care if a check engine light comes on,,,, that is an easy fix, and probably not to costly even if the Dodge Boys have to reset he errors.

I wonder if this is a Dodge thing, or I suppose Ford and GM have their weird ideas too. My local mechanic said we may road trip Thursday to some junk yards, looking for a dead Durango SLT. We were thinking that "any" Durango module would work,,,, that is the same style. Mine is not so fancy,,, does not have the gizmo, electronic panel on the inside roof between passenger and driver. Has panic/ horn alarm, but no security system. We have an aftermarket remote start system, that still works ok,,, and the remote start key chain controller would lock and unock the doors fine. The Dodge key chain controller quit locking and unlocking the doors a year or more ago [ perhaps the beginning of the slow death of the module],,, so we just quit using those.

Great sight here,,,, thank for the tips and hints....

rgrsinclair 12-28-2009 10:14 PM

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!

I removed My Malfunctioning 2002 Dodge Durango CTM unit from the Drivers side Kick Panel, and removed the unit from it's case...Inspected it thoroughly, and found green corrosion on some of the chip-set terminals.
I mixed a small amount of Baking soda, and water...w/small med bristle brus, proceeded to clean the corroded terminals, rinsing in the same manner, making sure to blow dry w clean compressed air to dry.

I then replaced the unit back in it's case, installed it back where it came from, plugged the connections back in to the proper sockets, and Hallelujah.....

Head lamps dash/dome/tail lamps, Door locks, key less entry, The whole 9 yards.

So before you give up on the CTM unit give it a thorough inspection and see if that might just be your problem.

Or you can just spend big bucks on a new one, and labor to boot :-)

Roger Sinclair
Houston TX.

master tech 12-29-2009 12:24 AM

Thank you for letting us know you solved the problem. I can also tell you the problem with dealerships. Dealers are letting the old timers go and hire young kids for less money. An old timer would have told you the CTM was bad. CTM 250.00 plus labor and you would have be happy, but the young kids have no ideal and no trainning and that cause's problems with customer and dealers. If you ever go back to a dealer, ask for a shopforeman or someone with 25+ years in the trade.

jet tech 11-19-2010 07:46 PM

99 DAKOTA R/T right headlight is dim all the time

replaced it with a new one when the old one got damaged, not THAT NEW ONE STAYS dim and even though all the lights are working , I GET THAT STUPID 10 TIMES FASTER TURN SIGNAL BLINK LIKE ONE BULB IS OUT BUT NONE ARE.

I'm suspecting the CTM on mine as well . I've un wrapped the looming looking for any issue and looked over the tail light wiring

KyleKoehler 01-31-2011 09:51 AM

Found this post and am experiencing same issues with CTM.

Not Working: Headlights, 4x4, powerlocks, interior lights, wipers all not working, possibly cruise.

Working: brake lights, turn signals, power windows, heater, radio

Want to replace CTM but good guys who work on my brakes and everything under the cars (who I trust 100%) says that if they replace CTM it still won't work at all until dealer flashes it. They suggested I NEED to go to dealership on this one.

I am reading elsewhere that only the keyless entry won't work if I replace CTM.

Can anyone confirm if I can replace CTM myself (with correct part) and get everything to work and then just go to dealership to get keyless entry working?

Called dealership and they want $267 for CTM and $127 to install (come on two screws and insert three plugs next to the emergency brake pedal... and they want $127!!!)

01SilverCC 01-31-2011 10:19 AM

You can plug in your new CTM and all of the electrical accessories should all work again. Windows, locks, radio, dome and dash lights, turn signals should all be OK. If you or your mechanics install your new CTM the only thing that needs to be done separately is your original keyless entry remote control units will have to be programmed to the new CTM. The brain for the keyless entry is inside the CTM, so with the new CTM you will get a new keyless but have no remote controls programmed to it yet. The dealer can program it with their DRB scan tool but it sounds like your dealer charges way too much for everything. There is a post from one of the mods here up in the FAQ about how to program the keyless remotes yourself:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-program.html

I don't know if it will work for you because I don't know what year your truck is but it's worth a try before paying the dealer to do it. When you order your new CTM be sure to give the dealer your VIN so they can get the right CTM for you. There are 2 different ones, one for trucks with all the power options and keyless and one for trucks without the options.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

KyleKoehler 01-31-2011 12:18 PM

more info on truck

Jimmy

2003 Dakota, Quad Cab with 4x4 and electric windows and locks. (Small 3.9L V6).

Having trouble locating anybody with access to a CTM (or Time and Alarm Module as some people call it).

Mine is a P56049072AK... there is currently one on ebay called P56049071AD for $89 but worried it won't match up.

Called dealer and they gave me P56049072AL as the part number.

No wonder cars cost so much!!!!

01SilverCC 01-31-2011 12:35 PM

On the CTM, I think it is best to buy from the dealer or a reputable online Dodge/Mopar parts website. I sure would not trust ebay or even a junk yard for something like a CTM, you could be taking a big chance on whether it works or not, and there's no guarantee of any kind of refund on a bad part. The dealer can order the correct CTM that you know will be the part you need.

A junk yard *might* give you a guarantee or 5 day refund or exchange warranty, something like that if you buy one from them but you would still be taking a risk on the reliability of the part. If you do go with ebay or a junk yard, you have to be certain the new-used CTM came from a donor truck with the exact same options as your own truck. Otherwise it will not work.

I stay away from dealers as much as possible, and I have no problems at all with using junk yard parts when I know they work and will be reliable, at least for a reasonable length of time (so I can get my money's worth out of it). On electrical parts though, it really is questionable whether to use a junk yard part. Sometimes though you have to bite the bullet and buy from the dealer. Maybe if you find it cheaper online, print it out and show it to the dealer and see if they will price match it for you.

I would check online Mopar parts sites, or maybe www.rockauto.com before going with an ebay CTM. Just my 2 cents there.

Jimmy

KyleKoehler 01-31-2011 09:39 PM

took the plunge

O.k. at lunch I went out and unplugged the CTM... played with wires and nothing. Came back inside and spent the $265 for the new unit at the dealer (AFTER calling every part supplier locally and getting the same responds... "Sorry that part can only be ordered from a dealer").

It will be in tomorrow.

On the way home (in daylight since again... no headlights)... I am driving in my car with the CTM exposed since I took off plastic car panel to get to it earlier. I think... "I wonder what would happen if I kicked it?" So with my free left foot (and cowboy boot) I whack the thing... and YES I here the automatic door locks go on!!! Everything is suddenly working.

I think... wow what should I do... do I have time to call the dealer and cancel. I stop a store on the way home and call the dealer cancelling the part. When I come out of the store the CTM is not working again.

I drive away repeated kicking the thing... this time it takes several taps to get it to work again.

I get home and take the thing apart looking for water damage as others have reported. Nothing. And it doesn't work when I reinstall... until I smack it with my hand.

With experimentation I discover that after the car sits for a while the CTM doesn't work. Turning car off and right back on is not problem.

I have a small wrench in the car and when I get in the car to start it up. I very slight rap on the cover (more towards the engine)... is like the "on" button. I have got it down to a VERY light tap in one spot.

OF COURSE I have called back the dealer and re-ordered the part. Not sure what tapping the case is doing inside but I am careful not to move any wires so I think the problem is definitely in the CTM.

I will report back when I get the new CTM.

Sorry for the long post.

01SilverCC 01-31-2011 10:14 PM

The fact you can hit/tap the CTM and it works indicates it's shot. Probably bad solder joints and/or swollen capacitors on its circuit board. It will fail completely, sooner or later. It's kind of a common problem on Dakota's. You are smart to replace it with a new one from the dealer, even though it costs so much. Let us know how it goes and whether the DIY keyless remote programming procedure works.

Jimmy

KyleKoehler 02-01-2011 07:12 AM

shot ctm

After reading some other posts I was hoping that I would find a caroded (spelling?) board. I am a software engineer... not a hardware engineer... but the thing looked perfect to me.

I agree it is shot, and while I won't let the wife or kids drive in it, it is great to have the 4-wheel drive and headlights working on this "storm of the century" winter day. I will let you know how the swap goes when the part comes in (I assume it won't be today since the ice storm hitting the Midwest seems to have everyone heading for the hills.

hurricane6 04-22-2011 06:28 PM

please help

i have the same thing but i have power to the box under the hood and to the fuse box but no power to the light switch

shadow_knows 04-23-2011 01:29 PM

I replaced the combination switch in the column and lights work except on brights , so I may have had the CTM going out also , but I traded it off months ago

Wetodd 05-11-2011 05:39 PM

If you get a CTM from a junk yard the only issue will be that the Alram and Anti-thief do not work? Assuming you get one that has all the power options you have in your trunck.

I am ok with that if that is the case as my Fob does not work and my alarm keeps coming on when I open the dam doors.

hurricane6 05-12-2011 04:27 PM

ctm from junk yards

Originally Posted by Wetodd (Post 2501817)
If you get a CTM from a junk yard the only issue will be that the Alram and Anti-thief do not work? Assuming you get one that has all the power options you have in your trunck.

I am ok with that if that is the case as my Fob does not work and my alarm keeps coming on when I open the dam doors.

thats what i did i robed one from a duango that was all power i have no power in mine the secerty light is on and my aftermarker radio dose some funy ass **** but who cars it fixed my truck and thats all i wanted dose anyone know were i can get the one from my truck rebuild ? i would love to get everything working right again but if i cant then i cant no big deal

Wetodd 05-13-2011 06:34 PM

Well I got one from a 2002 Dakota Sport and I think the only thing that doesn't work is the daytime running lights. I am good with that.

campstrat 05-27-2011 10:34 AM

Just thought I'd share real quick. (01 Dakota) Had all the symptoms of a bad CTM; no lights interior or exterior, intermittent wipers, power door looks, keyless entry and so on. Read this feed, which was very helpful, but was actually able to fix the problem just by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting. Hope this saves someone from some trouble in the future. Thanks

1bratt 06-01-2011 11:43 PM

thanks for this

I have a 2001 dodoge dakota 4x4 slt w/38000 miles on it very clean truck...and all of a sudden i had the very same problem as many here with no headlights, no keyless entry or door lock use (except key), 4x4 service light , dome lights staying on till I turn them of manually,no dash lights, 4x4 not working... and THANKS TO A POST HERE! I fixed it without spending350plus for a ctm...I unhooked the positive battery cable for about 10 mins and then hooked it back up and it reset the ctm -truck whatever and now everythng works!!! I'm not saying that this is your fix.. but thankfully it was mine!!!:) the dealership can kiss butt they should have sugested this to me when i called them but they are out for $$ and i called them and told them that!!and to kiss it!! I wanna thank evryone here for thier post and let them know that it really helped me save some cash! when cash is so tight these days!!:icon_twocents: it relly made a difference and i hope this hekps others as well..try looking for help from your fellow man/woman before a dealership!! Thanks again to all!!:icon_couch: THANKS CAMPSTRAT!!!

1bratt 06-01-2011 11:47 PM

thanks for this

:icon_couch:Oh and sorry for the spelling! lol I'm celebrating! and typing to fast for my own good cause I'm happy...:icon_goofygrin:

Fairway551 06-06-2011 09:30 AM

On my 2001 Dakota the passenger headlight intermittently flickers. I've determined that it's not the bulb and not the socket. All other lights, alarms, locks, windows, etc. work fine, including BOTH high beam headlights. Could the problem be the CTM? Is there a way to test it without going to the dealership?

1bratt 06-06-2011 09:13 PM

I don't know ..but i would try maybe replacing the bulb or simply taking it out and putting it back in to make sure it is in tight and secure...i'm no mechanic..but that is what i would do first..then i guess i would start checking the wires leading to the light...i'm really sorry that i'm not much help..but if it was the ctm I really think you would have a lot more things going wrong in your truck...:)

mcbye 06-23-2011 10:34 AM

Central timer module

I too had a problem with the Central Timer Module with symtoms such as
no headlights, no interior lights, no cruise, keyless entry disabled, etc. in
a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4X4. In addition, the lights went out on the 4WD
Control knob, and a warning light appeared saying "Service 4x4". I went
to the dealership and they said they would have to put it on the
diagnosic machine to confirm the problem, change out the CTM, and
reprogram it at an estimated cost of $380 - $500. Luckily for me, they
couldn't get me into the shop that day so I went home and researched
the problem on the internet.

One reply intriqued me. The writer indicated that he had disconnected the battery, searched for and finally found the CTM location, and pulled
it out, and pushed it back in. After reconnecting the battery, the problem
was solved with all systems up and working perfectly again.

It appeared to me that all he had done was remove power to the Module
and maybe you didn't even have to find it and unplug it to effect a reset.
So I simply removed the battery cables, gave the posts a much needed
cleaning while I was at it, and reconnected them. VOILA! The CTM
was reset, and all systems are back on and working perfectly. The
"Service 4X4" alarm light also went out. No expensive diagnostic tests at
the stealership, no reprogramming, no cost!

hurricane6 06-23-2011 03:19 PM

so your telling me the dealer can reprogram them . if so then i am taking my old one to get reprogrammed cause the one from the druango is screwing with my radio.

mcbye 06-25-2011 11:05 AM

CENTRAL TIMER MODULE - Fix

Hello Hurricane6

You only have to reprogram the CTM to make the keyless entry, etc.
work, if you change out the original or existing CTM. In most cases
you can simply reset the existing CTM by disconnecting and reconnecting
the battery. In my case that's all I did, and all systems were restored,
including the keyless entry and the 4X4 Service light went out. If you
still have your origingal CTM, I would simply disconnect the battery,
put the original CTM back in, and see what happens. If that doesn't
work, and you have to use the replacement CTM, it will have to be
reprogrammed to your vehicle at the dealership.

hurricane6 06-25-2011 05:33 PM

i had done that after i had to replace the battery cause it would not start first thing was that we thought then we changed the started then tested the battery and found it no good the old one dose not work right anymore so i have to have the new one reprogramed

Fairway551 06-27-2011 01:18 PM

I just confirmed that my CTM was bad. My only symptom was that my passenger side headlight flickered on and off intermittently. The dealer diagnosed the problem as the CTM. I had already checked the bulb and socket. They were fine. I also disconnected he battery overnight and disconnected the CTM. Neither fixed the problem.

I replaced the CTM and now everything is fine. Makes me mad that the CTM went bad (I only have 63000 miles), but at least my lights work now.

EricBing 06-28-2011 08:06 PM

turn signal light

wifey and i were gathering roadside asparagus had hazards on for awhile and her turn signal did same thing 10 flashes a sec lol, turned out socket went bad, drove me nuts for awhile though, it was just a lil brown lookin, worked a lil now and again, replaced with a different one and it's ok now

TankTopTom 09-19-2011 01:48 PM

Thank you guys for this post I was having the same problem with my 02 Dakota. flashing lights in side and out. i went to all the auto parts stores and they had no clue what I was talking about and telling me that it was my light switch. i called the dealership and they quoted me $400 "before tax". After stressing out over 400 bucks and driving around town looking for this part i went to a junk yard (4st street auto wreckers Reno, NV) I had a used CTM installed within 15 mins. everything works again except the key fob but im okay with that for right now. I CAN DRIVE AT NIGHT NOW!!!

cfay18 09-19-2011 05:23 PM

i have had the same problem on my 02 dakota about ones a year i just unplug my ctm and you a coil brush on it and its worked everytime with the exception of the last time it burnt out my cd player threw the antenna witch i suspect is a ground issue im waiting till it acts up again before i replace

CoyoteQuick 10-03-2011 12:59 PM

Is the CTM a "Dealer Only" item?

haes70 06-26-2012 04:32 PM

I have a CTM issues and I have the part from my 02 ending in AG and a replacement from an 03 with a part # ending in AK. How can I tell if this replacement will work. Both are from SLT Crew Cabs.

68ChargerMan 09-12-2012 07:39 PM

2002 dakota flickering lights

thanks for the info guys and it was the ctm on my customers 02 dak that was the problem...great site keep up the good work

picard1963 11-24-2012 09:33 PM

Hey, new to this forum but it really helped me out today. 03 Dakota Crew 4WD. Came out of store and power locks wouldn't work. "Service 4WD" light on. I'm like, what now? After reading this thread further noticed no headlights (really?) nor dome lights. Being on the road for holiday with kids in tow, i was really freaking out. Was going to try the "unhook battery reset" but first tried this: exposed CTM module, unplugged the 3 connectors, top to bottom order; turned on ignition (no crank) and waited 30 seconds. Then turned off ignition, removed keys and closed the doors.

Waited another minute then plugged the 3 connectors again, top one first. As soon as I plugged in the bottom connector, all my dome lights came on. Now have headlights and power locks work. "Service 4WD" light gone (since the 4WD indicator lights are back to normal). Hope this helps confirm yet again what folks on this site have previously stated. You all saved my can this day! Great forum.

picard1963 11-24-2012 09:40 PM

Also, forgot to mention. Module part number is: 956049072AI, fwiw