2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle body spacers

ORIGINAL: DevilDog17

I have99 Dakota with a 318/5.2. I have a Crane Throttle body spacer and it gave me noticable torque and horsepower in low rpms. It does make a difference. I think its would only be worth the money if you have a Cold Air Intake though. I would only buy a name brand Throttle body spacer though.
No you didn't. If the TBS gave you 10+ horse power at the flywheel, That would only equate to about 3Hp at the wheel which sorry to say you will NOT feel. I don't care what you say.And it neverwould make 10Hp because any effects it had on air flow velocity would be completely eliminated when it reaches the factory intake manifold. Why? Look at how the factory manifold is made, the air comes in through the top, hits the floor of the manifold, then has to go up, all the way across the top of the manifold and down the other side and into the combustion chamber. Even if it added 50hp which is impossible, after parasitic(sp?) loss through the transmission and drivetrain would be about 10HP at the wheels. Even then would be hard pressed to know the difference. It's all in your head.

Just like these "cold-air" kits you get off ebay that sit right over the exhaust and suck in HOT air. People swear up and down they feel a difference when in actuality you've lost HP. Don't waste your money!

Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
DevilDog17
Professional

It was not anywhere close to $200 and if you don't have one then you don't know.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

I don't have a boat with holes in it either, but guess what... I know it won't work All I'm sayig is, it's really easy to fake yourself out. If you left you truck with somone and they slipped on that TB spacer and you had no idea what so ever they put it on. I guarantee you wouldn't get in your truck and drive it and say "Wow, this feels like it has more power all of a sudden" You wouldn't even notice a difference. But since your mind says something is supposed to be happening you trick yourself into believeing it. Bring it to a dyno. Then if you show some improvement fine.. prove me wrong.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:54 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

I agree with you, you make strong points, but there is some kind of benefit or else it won't be sold. If this is a product made to fake my mind out then there are more products out there made by Name Brand companys doing the same thing. Im not saying I acquired 22hp like the box says, I know thats not true. But it breathes better pulling through the gears, trust me.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 AM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you, you make strong points, but there is some kind of benefit or else it won't be sold.
To line to pockets of the manufacturer.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 lakota... If you want to do anything with your TB go get a bigger TB from www.thefastman.com . That will help you out because of the larger diameter which allows for better airflow. When you do this make sure to have a CAI and high flow exhaust...

Old 01-21-2007, 05:48 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

I'm not trying to harp on you, I'm just trying to make you aware of decieving products. There ARE large companies out there that make stuff that doesn't work. It's up to you to research and identify the problem. Take Jet Chips for example. They are a large company that make really good products that work on lots and lots of cars, but on our particular trucks they do not. They work for a short period, but the factory PCM eventually recognizes the changes the chip made and overides them by compensating for the changes. So you have to reset your PCM every 200 miles or so to regain the effects of the chip again. Does Jet tell their comsumers this? Or stop manufacturing the product? Of course not, they would be losing money. Same thing with electric superchargers. They just don't work. There are tons of crooks out their feeding off people that don't know the difference. And even if they do realize it, most people won't admit that they just spent all kinds of money on something that doesn't work. SO word doesn't get around. Hell Iknow I didn't when I first bought a Jet chip. But a few passes down the track made me come to terms with my $200 paper weight. Just because it's made by a large company, doesn't mean it works.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 PM
lil
Captain

Come on my electric hair dryer....umm I mean electric super charger is super high performance......I printed on the box that it gives you 75 more horse power.....I will let you have a deal $199.99 you pay shipping.....hehe......hey I read it on the internets it must be true or they would not write it......

Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

but there is some kind of benefit or else it won't be sold.
Yeah! Like cigarettes andfortune tellers. I have a rabbit's foot that it good for 50 RWHP. Simply mount it between your throttle body and intake manifold. It makes the air lucky as it passes by. I will sell it to you for $200.That is as little as $4 per RWHP! Limited time offer!

I take PayPal.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky rabbits foot??? Wasn't lucky for the rabbit, and he had 4 of them.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacers