2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust-Cats only no muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Sonicpilz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust-Cats only no muffler?

Hey guys I'm about to freak to get some sound out of my truck. Money is gonna be tight the next few months so a new exhaust system is going to have to wait. I had a few cheap ideas and I just wanted to know if any of you guys have tried them. I thought about just dumping the factory mufflers, or removing the muffler completely. Dumping them would sound a little louder because it would echo between the ground and the body. Or I thought about just removing the muffler and running cats only. This would make a huge difference in sound and only cost about $20. I know the quality isn't going to be anything like flowmasters or anything but at least it would get me by until I can afford it.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM
red9535
Professional
Default RE: Exhaust-Cats only no muffler?

Well, cutting your muffler off will defintely make it louder, lol. No question about that. Its not gona sound good though.. just loud.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 AM
racin_40
Rookie

around here 95% of the Rams are running duals out the back with no mufflers and they sound ok loud as all get out but sound good
a dakota should sound the same but you have to remeber ,not sure about sound ordinences in your town but local police may frown on it esp if you just cut off the exhaust and have nothing exiting the body

Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Sonicpilz

I live in SC where noise, emissions, etc are no problem. I did have a 03 Mustang GT where I made the exact same set up (2 cats and no muffler). The mustang actually sounded pretty good. Higher RPM's it did kind of make a raspy sound but for most part I was pleased. Also it DOES NOT make it so loud that you will have problems with police. On the mustang my flowmasters with no cats were much louder than the 2 cats with no muffler set up.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when we did my exhaust on my 99 I took it for drive with no exhaust (cause I had to get more clamps) and it was loud as hell I loved it, but it would back fire quite abit. and a muffler sounds sooo much better. I got my magnaflow 1in 2out muffler for $75.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same mindset, I cut off my muffler for about a week or so, while I was waiting to get my flowmasters installed, I loved the sound, mine actually sounded pretty dang good, I got quite a few compliments, on how awesome it sounded for being just a small truck. But I wasn't going for obnoxiously loud, just wanted some rumble, so I added the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta flows, and they were perfect. Not overly loud, but not quiet at the same time.
Does that make sense?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
BigNasty01

I cut the muffler off my 99 Dodge Dakota 4x4 and it sounds great and Havent had any complants from the police so far

Quick Reply: Exhaust-Cats only no muffler?