2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Towin' an IROC

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:26 AM
gutted
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towin' an IROC

Whaddya guys think? Can my '03 3.9L tow a '87 IROC about 150 miles on the highway?

I'm thinking it'd be too much. The car is ~3400 pounds plus whatever the weight of whatever trailer I use.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:57 AM
jakebank
Rookie
Default RE: Towin' an IROC

Well it really depends. Do you have the tow package? 3.92 rear end? Auto? 4wd?

Your rated at around 5,000 pounds with all the proper equipment. But you should always give a 10% cushion and 20% cushion if youre towing in the mountains. I see that youre in mass so there isnt a lot of mountains from my experience. So you should keep the total amount of what you're towing under 4,500 pounds. So if the IROC is about 3,400 pounds then the trailer would have to be less than 1,100 pounds. You'd also need trailer brakes. If you could tow it with a bigger heavier duty rig then thats what I'd do. If not you might be able to get away with it. I'm by no means an expert though.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tow dolly, but I wouldn't do it. Your other option is an aluminum flatbed trailer, but good luck getting someone to loan you one of those. They're spendy as hell and people tend to wreck borrowed trailers for whatever reason, especially if they're not used to towing all the time.

Borrow a bigger truck with a bigger motor, or rent a u-haul or something. around here you could even rent a truck from Lowe's or home depot.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

I wouldnt...get a bigger truck to tow it, unless you can do it at night and drive say 50-60 mph...thats my take...

Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would not take the chance. between the car and trailer combo weight would be at max. if you have triple a they would tow it for free. and if you dont find a friend who has it. also if the car is driveable ****** some plates and have a buddy drive behind you or make up a fake bill of sale for 24 hours just in case you get pulled over.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:44 AM
gutted
Veteran

I have no idea what gears I got. I think you can check in the glove box or something? It's got the tow package and it's a 2wd auto.

I'd be going from Mass to CT. I'd take the Pike to 84 to 91 where there's maybe one or two hills (not mountains at all).

This isn't my car. I had the chance to make a few bucks. Someone needed a car towed from where I live to where my girlfriend lives. Since I travel that route anyway I figured why not tow a car down? More than likely I won't be doing it I think, but I figured I'd at least think about it and evaluate the possibility.

Quick Reply: Towin' an IROC