2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ticking/knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:53 PM
ct4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking/knocking noise

Ok i was driving my 01 dakota the other day and i wasnt paying attention but i blew the radiator hose, the engine over heated a little and so i fixed everything and replaced the oil. But now when i drive, it makes a knocking/ticking sound only when i push the gas down and it dosnt start doing it untill the truck has been running for about 10 minuites. If anyone has any idea what this could be please help me out.Thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: ticking/knocking noise

How long were you running overheated? What temp. did it reach? Also, make sure that you have a proper oil level. Does it sound like a timing chain? Is it coming from the top end or bottom end?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 PM
ct4x4
Rookie

Well it hit the red line on the heat gauge im not sure exactley what temp it hit. the oil level is fine and i dont think its a timing chain. the noise is coming from the top of the motor.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You could have possibly burned a valve or valve seat. It could also be your water pump, if it was running under zero load for an extended time.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
ct4x4
Rookie

how would i check to see if thoes would be bad? and how hard would it be to fix thoes? my buddy said it also might be a valve spring or a lifter could thoes be a possibilty?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 AM
desertracer

It is very possible you lost a valve seat or have a sticky lifter. I just finished replacing the heads on a 4.7 that had overheated and was driven until a rocker shot out the side of the valve cover. It lost 4 seats on the right head and one on the left. It also had several sticky lash adjusters (what they call lifters on the 4.7).

Which engine do you have? If its the 4.7, I can tell you exactly what you need to do to diagnose your problem.

Quick Reply: ticking/knocking noise