2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Superchip Programer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchip Programer

Hi,
I've got a Superchips Programer which I like a lot. As well as the performance gains, I've used it enough reading and clearing fault codes to have paid for itself in workshop charges.
The one question I have is that after using it to read/clear a code it goes back to the stage where it asks wheather you want to, A:Program or Biagnose. Is it safe to switch off the ignition and disconect at this point? The only other way is to choose A and go through the process of unloading the current program, then re-installing it. This way you get to the end and it says to disconect the tuner.
I got so fed up doing the long way when clearing codes (got the recuring P0442! Will get new cap when next in States!) that I've just switched off and dissconected after clearing the code a couple of times and it doesn't seem to have done any harm but I just wanted to know if I was going to do any damage.
On a related story, I found that on the highest performance setting, I was getting a bit of "pinging" under full throttle. I'd been told that a 180 Stat would help. I bought one on my last visit but haven't gotten round to fitting it. The past couple of weeks have seen the weather going into the 40's and sometimes into the low 30's and I can't get it to "ping" so I think the cooler Stat will have to go in when it warms up. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 02-07-2007, 03:17 AM
horatio102
Champion
Default RE: Superchip Programer

You're using 91+ octane when running the highest setting, right? I get pinging too, but I think my intake plenum gasket is leaking again. I did notice a decrease in pinging after swapping out the thermostat though.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
DakinUK
Veteran

I've been using what we call Super Unleaded over here, depending on who you buy it from, it varies from 97 to 99 Octane but I know that we measure the octane rating slightly differently. It would equate to between 91 and 93 on your scale. I don't think the 4.7 is efected by the plenum chamber leaks of the LA engines but correct me if I'm wrong. I still don't understand why a low stressed truck engine has these problems when a highly stressed motorcycle engine happily runs on regular unleaded. It runs far higher compression and ignition advance.

Thanks again,

Paul

Old 02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Moody Blues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go by what it says If I run the performace or Torque setting it has no less then 91 Octane in her.I have never expierienced Pinging.My friend ran the performance setting with 89 Octane and he thought his truck was gonna throw a rod it was pinging so bad.Dont be Bullheaded and run whatever is recomended.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Moody Blues

Sorry to avoid your main Question.I would not know but just to be safe if were me I would grind my teeth and take the extra time just to be safe my trucks worth that to me.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
asmodeus289
Professional

I have the same problem with pinging. I'm running the 91 Performance Tune and have the 180 degree thermostat in my 4.7. Mine only seems to ping under full throttle when I run certain brands of gas.

Quick Reply: Superchip Programer