2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Not Sure Squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Audiophile69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Sure Squeak?

I have a '99 3.9 that has a squeak coming from the front of the engine.I have replaced the idler and tensioner pulley within the last few days and have done the water pump about a year and half ago as well as the fan clutch. I will probably replace them again just to make sure. I did the belt like 6 months ago but will do that again. I have an erie feeling that they won't fix it though. The sound seems like it is coming from the lower part of the engine. I mean it could be the crank slipping on the belt but probably not. Could this be a dried crank seal or possibly bad mains? It kinda will keep up with engine speed until about 2200 RPMs then goes away. While idling it will do it about 75% of the time but occasionally disappear for 10 seconds or so. I am stumped...it has no real pattern other than does it only after about 5-10 mins of warm up. When then trucks cold it won't do anything until warmed a little bit. It could be the bearings are already bad in the water pump and it could be the belt might be bad already but i bought the best of parts. I work at Advance Auto and only use the best parts for my vehicles. They are either new and not reman or top names like Dayco or Bendix. Any help will due. Thanks

Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Erich_121
Veteran
Default RE: Not Sure Squeak?

if its a squeak then its bearings. Have you checked your powersteering pump pulley?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Start with the cheapest solution first. Replace the belt. For some reason or another, a big problem with the gen2 Dakota/Durango was that the pulley guides are slightly different sizes. This means that over time the belt will develop grooves that fit some pulleys perfectly, but will be slightly too large for other pulleys. I replaced the tensioner, idler, and was about to change out the clutch on and A/C when I just stopped, replaced the belt, and the squeak was gone. Try putting some belt dressing on it. If the problems goes away temporarily, then you know it is the belt.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could be your alternator too. they start to squeak when they go.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

Good point, they make a grinding noise too

Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Audiophile69

Well i replaced the belt and it went away for the fist few drives. But after a few hours or sitting i went out and started it and its back again. So i am thinking the bearings in the w/p or the tensioner is slightly moving and causing this squeak. A friend has listened to it and says it sounds like its coming from the dead center of the engine which would be the w/p. But could it be the crank bearings? I highly doubt it would be but i don't want to rule anything out without the insight of others. I will let you all know if the w/p fixes the problem or not. Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Sour Diesel

ORIGINAL: Erich_121

Good point, they make a grinding noise too
Today I went to the car wash.. got the gold one or whatever, when I came out i had a really bad grinding / squeak..after awhile the grinding died off and there was a loud squeak much like this poster just described..I had a squeak before but it stopped for a while. But now its back[>:]

Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 PM
topgun440

there is one other belt drive that being the one for the cam.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Audiophile69

Don't quite know what he's ^ talking about...thought it was chain driven.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Audiophile69

Don't quite know what he's ^ talking about...thought it was chain driven.
it is chain drivin. and its a common problem for them to get loose and start slapping around, but they wont make a squeaking noise. its more of a rattleing noise.

Quick Reply: Not Sure Squeak?